What music are you listening to?

Benji

Been listening to a small handful of Jane's Addiction tracks (namely "Stop!", "Been Caught Stealing", "Jane Says", "Mountain Song" and "Just Because"( :wub: )) for the first time the past week. New of them from "Been Caught Stealing" on GTA: San Andreas and "Stop!" on Guitar Hero 2, but found the voice too whiny. But heard "Just Because" and thoughts flipped around. I don't know why I didn't get into them sooner.

I've been listening to alot of country lately.

And by country I mean the good kind. Been listening to alot of Hank 3, mainly his "Straight to Hell" stuff. Also been listening to whatever I could find of Joe Buck Yourself. Mike Ness also has some country stuff out, more classifed as cowpunk, but it's good stuff.

Ok, so I've been lax in my duties as the board's resident Edguy fanboy lately. I've only just got around to listening to Tinnitus Sanctus. It's really not that great. :(

It starts with the single, Ministry of Saints, which I really quite like. It's a decent single, nice tune and tempo, and unlike most of the rest of the album it doesn't feel like he wrote the tune first and then tried to hammer the lyrics into the pattern, which is my main issue with songs like 'Nine Lives', in addition to the fact that those lyrics themselves are shite. But we like Ministry. Ministry good song.

Sex Fire Religion is also decent, and also harkening back to Hellfire Club type stuff as Ministry did. I like the intro, and the vocals aren't quite as fluid as actual Hellfire Club vocals, but aren't as forced as most of the stuff that follows this song. Also, it has a good 'Edguy Chorus', one you can sing along to at gigs without feeling like an emo kid or a fourteen year old girl. Unlike...

The Pride of Creation. Ugh. It tries to be the Lynch-inspired masterpiece Judas At The Opera but fails miserably. No, really, as soon as you hear the intro, you get excited. It sounds "Judasy". It's not :( The lyrics are shit, not 'surrealist funny', just shit.

Nine Lives is meh. Not terrible, but I doubt I'd play it by choice at all.

Waking Up Dreaming Black is ok, but again I'd skip it every time (as it is, I don't see myself ever listening to this album cover to cover again, so I won't need to).

Dragonfly is hands-down the worst Edguy song ever. It sounds like it belongs on the latest Avantasia album, in a parallel universe where the latest Avantasia album SUCKED. But you know, that type of song.

Thorn Without A Rose feels like Tobi thought 'shit, must have a ballad on this album' but couldn't really be arsed.

Then we get a bit of salvation. 9-2-9, within the context of the album, is great, Speedhoven is too. Dead Or Rock is listenable, but nothing much.

Then it finishes on what I ca desly describe as a parody of a country song, which again is trying to be funny. You used to be so good at this stuff, Tobi, what happened? :( Life And Times Of A Bonus Track was genius, this is wank (no pun intended).

Best songs: 9-2-9, Speedhoven, Ministry of Saints, Dead or Rock, Sex Fire Religion.

Overall: Avoid like the plague. 4/10. The live CD is great, of course, but it's not worth the price of buying the crap CD it comes with.

Did I really just say that about an Edguy album? Ouch. :(

Edited by Farmer Reil

12 Hours of Metallica. (over 3 days)

Having only had Reload and Death Magnetic as full albums along with a handful of tracks, my friend gave me the rest of their studio albums (and S&M too), especially as I'm off to the O2 in March to see them.

Very good, the only two albums I'm not too keen on are Kill 'Em All and ...And Justice for All. I dunno, they just don't sit with me too well. I find the Black album to be a little overrated now (though by no means bad), and St. Anger is unjustly buried. Yeah it's different, but at the same time you can't just release the same shit. I do like St. Anger, it's just balls to the wall anger from start to finish. Bad point obviously goes to the steel drum thingy, but that fades after out of perspective after a while anyway when you get used to it. Especially interesting when having just watched Some Kind of Monster on More4 by coincidence.

First time listening to Master of Puppets as a whole album too: Wow. And I'm not overly fond of the title track, but it's got so much other goodness on it anyway like Battery, Sanitarium and unlike on Death Magnetic, a 9 minute instrumental I like in Orion.

My favourite one so far though probably has to be Load. I don't know why, but I just loved the heavy, slow, grinding riffs on it. There were a couple of moments in there too that reminded me of Alice in Chains too, which isn't really a bad thing.

So yeah, listening to Death Magnetic now so my 12 hour Metallicathon is nearly over, withstanding S&M.

Rating(s)

Kill 'Em All - 7/10

Ride The Lightning - 8/10

Master of Puppets - 8.5/10

..And Justice for All - 6.5/10

Metallica - 7.5/10

Load - 9/10

Reload - 8/10

St. Anger - 7.5/10

Death Magnetic - 8/10

S&M - 8/10

And also...

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

Great grunge album that is suprisingly upbeat most of the way through. Worst song probably goes to the most famous of them all, No Rain, mainly just for that reason. I knew Shannon Hoon had a good voice before hand, but listening to him on the album further cements that. It's a shame he is another guy who's no longer of this world. From start to end, great album.

Rating: 8.5/10

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R

I've had the album a while, just been listening to it a lot recently. Easily my favourite album by QOTSA that I've heard. Starting of with the anthem-like Feel Good Hit of the Summer all the way to the end it's just a great album. The horns at the end of Ode to Clarissa used to go through me, and they still kinda do, but the fact that they go on for a good 4 minutes and are so OTT it makes me laugh inside. Monster in the Parasol's lyrics make no sense whatsoever but only adds to it, and Better Living Through Chemistry is possibly my favourite QOTSA song, listening to it with headphones/earphones makes the song so much mroe special too. Love those tom-toms in the left ear at the start, then the bass and main riff kicks in on the right, as the vocals come in on the left. Superb.

Rating: 9/10

Edited by TheModernWay

I've been on a major Townes Van Zandt kick this week. My assistant director had never heard any of him despite being a big Lightning Hopkins fan so I took it as my responsibility to introduce him to TVZ. Needless to say he loves him, and ever since we've been going through what I deem to be the best of the best.

Today I am in the office alone, so I am going in another direction-- Motorhead for 3 glorious hours.

"Killing Joke" by Killing Joke...for pretty much the first time since it came out. I'd forgotten how ridiculously heavy, intense and just suffocating this album is...it's been blowing my mind all over again this week.

Also "Broken Record Prayers" by Comet Gain, one of the most under-rated indie bands going.

A selection of Corrosion of Conformity tracks. Wow. Now I've got the "Wiseblood" album on it's way as it was only £2.99 on Play.com. Shame I won't be getting it until Monday though because my friend ordered it at the same time and won't be going home to until the weekend.

So I was looking at the Bloodstock '09 lineup, and thought "shit.. this means I'll have to actually listen to Amon Amarth and stuff :(".

...where have they BEEN all my life?! I guess I was put off because people kept calling them "melodic death metal". Fuck that shit, Amon Amarth are awesome!

THOR! ODIN'S SON, PROTECTOR OF MANKIND!

RIDE TO MEET YOUR FATE, YOUR DESTINY AWAITS!

I've been spending a lazy sunday night watching some music stuffs on the telly.

First was a Neil Young thing which was excellent as you might expect. It was one of the first live performances of "Heart of Gold". Very good indeed.

Then I watched Oasis live in Manchester which was funny as fuck because they were really bad. Well...Liam was really bad.

And I just found out Bruce Springsteen is doing the Superbowl half time show. Smashing! :D

As far as half time performances we've been on a decent run as of late.

2005 - Paul McCartney - excellent

2006 - Rolling Stones - I only really like the Rolling Stones live. But...they were live. So it's good.

2007 - Prince - Is Prince. So it was immense obviously.

2008 - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - not my favourite but did themselves justice all the same

2009 - Bruce Springsteen - I have high hopes. I hope he doesn't play any songs from his new album though cause I don't know them yet. >_>

Edited by metalman

More Corrosion of Conformity, but this time I'm one album richer with "Wiseblood". Wowowowow. How the fuck didn't CoC make it big time I don't know. "Wiseblood" is a fantastic album, and at £3 from Play.com, it is practically a steal. "Redemption City" is immense. The album contains everything from the Black Sabbath to Metallica (Hetfield also provides uncredited vocals on "Man or Ash") and even the odd bit of Guns N' Roses IMO (more Chinese Democracy style I'd say, even though "Wiseblood" came out 12 years ago) in it which leads to one hell of an album that just rocks out with heavy, crunching riffs. No bullshit here. Get it.

Edited by TheModernWay

I'm listening to;

Dark Horse by Nickleback

I love parts of this album. I love If Today was your last day, Burn it to the ground, Shakin Hands, and Just to Get High. I only don't like the last track(can't remeber it's name this afternoon i think?) so i rate the Album a 9/10

Edited by Wrath of Kane