What music are you listening to?

Benji

Janet Jackson - Discipline

In a weird way, its actually really good. 6 top notch song on it, Feedback being such an amazing club track. But way too many "shorts" and not enough substance make it pretty bland and uninteresting.

Spent an hour or two earlier in the day browsing iTunes for random songs and the ones I've had on most the day...

Black Stone Cherry - Blind Man. Just like all their songs it sounds the same (catchy chorus with guitar solo 2 thirds in) but isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Celebrity Skin - Hole. Dunno how I ended up with this, never thought I'd sing 'When I wake up, in my make-up' out loud but there you go.

Handlebars and Stand Up - Flobots. Got Handlebars because it's the song of the moment and a bit of a grower. Stand Up is this weeks free download and you know, waste not want not.

Easy (Like A Sunday Morning). The antidote to the numerous metal songs that clogs up the library. Sometimes its nice to just kick back to something relaxing.

18 and Life - Skid Row. Been playing Guitar Hero at a friends and this has been stuck in my head, along with Cults of Personality and I Wanna Be Sedated.

I was listening to the LastFM radio earlier playing music similar to Mad Season.

Got some pretty good tunes out of it, like Candlebox, Green River and co., as well as a few awesome Screaming Trees tracks. (H)

It's a shame that the Screaming Trees aren't as well known as the other grunge bands.

I can not believe that I have missed out on Meshuggah for so long. Just bought their obZen album today after seeing the video for Bleed, and goddamn, they are fucking gods. I had heard New Millenium Cyanide Christ before that but had, shamelessly, passed them aside, a mistake I will never do again.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannibal Corpse's "Live Cannibalism" album. This is the crispest, most well-defined live sound I have ever heard from a band, and it actually doesn't fall too much short of their average gig either. This whole album is "classical Corpse" as I see it: with Corpsegrinder on vocals and the band blasting through pretty much every one of their most crowd-pleasing hits in the most brutal way imaginable.

High on Fire; and lot's of 'em.

Why? Because they're fucking awesome that's why.

Boo >_> If I didn't know the history, I'd probably be rather fond of High On Fire myself, but knowing that they're formed from the ashes of Sleep, a really rather brilliant band, which also spawned Om, an also really rather good but really dull live band, I expected much better, so I've always been disappointed by them. Oh well.

Anyhow, lately I have been listening to an 8-Bit Tribute To Kraftwerk, which is a bit hit-and-miss, but the version of "Pocket Calculator" is worth the asking price alone.

Also, listened to Loudon Wainwright III's latest today - it's an album of re-recordings of his earlier material, with a full band, which is about as creatively empty and as lazy as an album can possibly be - it might even be worse than either a live album, covers album or "greatest hits" - and he really shouldn't be able to get away with it, but he does. And he's one of the few that could - he's in a group of people, the only other one of whom I can think of would be Jonathan Richman, that could release whatever the fuck they like, and no one would bat an eyelid - his fans would still buy it, and everyone else would fail to notice it, and no one would make a fuss. Which is no bad thing, as Richman's last one was brilliant too. Anyhow, yeah, some of it falls a little flat - we don't need a new version of "The Man Who Couldn't Cry", and some of the song choices are a little odd as he's done so much better, but a lot of it works really well. The new "Motel Blues" is superb. While a lot of this stuff sounded cynical but also quite forced - it's difficult to really get behind a guy in his early-twenties singing about loneliness in motel rooms and about wanting to reclaim his youth - but hearing the same guy at sixty, there's a lot more warmth to it, and a lot more realism and depth, and it's much stronger.

Loudon's an odd one, in that his voice isn't brilliant (it's bloody good, but not brilliant), his lyrics are never astounding, and he's not the greatest guitar player, but the whole is always so much greater than the sum of its parts - something happens when you throw all those things together, and he becomes a really wonderful talent, and still criminally underlooked.

• 2 weeks later...

Uranus. Holy goddamn fuck. It's like Europe gave birth to a Pagan Black Metal hockey team after coupling with Bilskirnir and a sampler, who were both trained by Randy Rhoads. Disgusting as it may sound it turned out well and that hockey team is now doing everything in their power to melt my face further off with their awesome music.

Anything and everything Metalium. Now I'm not one for the very heavy metal side of music and prefer to stay pretty even and open to any kinds of music but there is something about Metalium that just makes me love their music. I can only find one song in their 8 albums, both live and studio, that I can't listen to.

And no, they are not a Metallica cover band as all my friends keep asking me.

Never heard any Metalium, but their lead singer played Bloodstock with Firewind (because Apollo was ill or something) and he was awesome. I keep meaning to check them out due to that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Henning Basse is awesome. Fact. If there's one thing Germans do well, it's power metal.

Edit: Just listened to some stuff on Youtube. Deliciously Helloween-ish. Definately have to get some of their stuff.

Edit2: Hoooly shit, just listened to their Smoke On The Water cover. New favourite cover, possibly. Awesome.

As for my latest ipod-filler: Spellblast. Just because Goblin's Song is so awesome.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Recently I've been grinding through alot of new bands and so Kronos, Scarve and Benighted have been playing alot. Kronos are just bad-ass brutal death metal with a great guitar edge, Scarve are like a serious version of Strapping Young Lad with some clean vocals thrown in and surprisingly that is not a bad thing and Benighted holds to more or less the same style as Kronos. So much face-melting and ear-bleeding from here.