What music are you listening to?

Benji

Currently; "Let Them Burn" by Kataklysm.

I have really gone totally batshit crazy in love with Kataklysm as of late. They produce some really awesome stuff and yesterday I just couldn't resist the urge of acquiring another two Kataklysm albums, namely "In The Arms Of Devastation" and "Shadows & Dust". Both were, off course, great.

Currently listening to God Dethroned. Saw them at Nummirock and had never heard them before but was amazed at how awesome their music, and their guitar work was so I decided to buy two albums. They are, as expected, very great.

New Alice Cooper, Along Came a Spider... first songs are pretty kickass. He's done a good job of keeping his unique sound and modifying it to the times without changing too much.

Also, Unwritten Law's album Elva.

Holy Diver - Ronnie James Dio

Followed by:

Holy Diver - Killswitch Engage

Trying to figure out the better version.... or at least the one I prefer.

Tom Waits' "Orphans" collections - fuck me, his version of the Ramones' "Danny Says" is absolutely bloody brilliant, really just took my breath away...I'd even forgotten all about the Ramones version existing in the first place, so it was like a double-whammy of perfect pop song...only, Tom Waits-ified.

Finally listening to the latest Boris album, Smile.

Is it possible for them to not rock the socks off of everybody? I don't think so.

I wasn't a big fan of Smile. Just seemed a bit weak compared to the rest of their stuff - although, admittedly, everything else they've done is made of unadulterated RAWK of the highest order, so it's excusable.

Edited by Skummy

Depends what you're after. For latter day Scott Walker, the more full-on melodramatic and experimental stuff - all abstract lyricism and avant-garde neo-classical orchestral backing, then you want to go with either Tilt or The Drift, I'd probably recommend Tilt as it's more rooted in "rock" and "popular music" than The Drift, so possibly it would be easier to get into. If you're more into the croonier stuff, or at least the more conventional stuff, then you really can't go wrong with Scott 4; it's his first album to be comprised solely of his own compositions, and it's worth it just for "The Old Man's Back Again", really, or just to be able to see where The Last Shadow Puppets nicked everything from. Scott Walker Sings Jacques Brel is good too, if a bit corny in places, mostly thanks to the OTT orchestration.

If you can get hold of it, I've no idea if it's still available or what kind of price it would be, there's a five-disc retrospective called "Scott Walker In Five Easy Pieces", which breaks his career up into moods, rather than breaking it down chronologically (although there tends to be correlation), which can be good. And if you haven't already seen it, definitely check out the 30 Century Man documentary film.

Charlie Parker All-Stars. Oh my, this is love. I'm going to fall asleep listening to this. Best jazz since the first time I heard Love Supreme.