What music are you listening to?

Benji

Black Mountain's In The Future album. I swear, vocals aside, the song Stormy High sounds like it could be a Black Sabbath song. It's fuckin' awesome.

After moving I found a slip for a free download of Bright Eye's Cassadaga (I bought it on vinyl) that I had misplaced. I finally downloaded it today and it has allowed me to give the album a much closer listen. It is pretty grand.

Black Sabbath, by Black Sabbath. I've not listened to them in ages, and fucking hell, I'd forgotten how consistently brilliant they were for the first few albums. Seriously. This album came out in 1970, and sounds as heavy and as fresh now as ever - as much as I love doom, it's all retreading the same old ground that was set out here, on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and on Masters Of Reality - it might get a little heavier or a little louder or a little slower, but it's all there. Sabbath did it all.

Straight away, title track, mindblowing stuff. And then The Wizard and NIB on the same album? Beautiful.

Black Mountain's In The Future album. I swear, vocals aside, the song Stormy High sounds like it could be a Black Sabbath song. It's fuckin' awesome.

I fucking love Black Mountain. They nick Black Sabbath riffs all the time, basically, and normally I don't think they'd appeal to me all that much as they're such shameless classic rock revivalists so much of the time, but I think the two vocalists make them really special. I saw them live last year and it was absolutely mindblowing, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. It was brilliant to see them play their penultimate song and say "we've just got one more for you..." and go into an epic performance of "Bright Lights", all 14 or so minutes of it...it was absolutely phenomenal. We met them a couple of times afterwards, too, they're lovely lovely people. So, in summary, Black Mountain = :wub:

I must agree with you on that, Skummy. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath has always been one of my favorite Sabbath records. It is just plain awesome and is even more epic because it marked a period of consistent great releases from the band.

Listening to Moonsorrow myself quite a bit at the moment. After the release of their "Tulimyrsky" EP, I've just been chugging away at the epic opening track, entitled "Tulimyrsky" (<_<), and their rather ridiculous yet funny cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Doctor Who themes. Like, loads of different Doctor Who themes (the 1981 and 2008 ones in particular).

Dr. Who is one of those things where I'm rather indifferent to the show/product itself, but I adore the theme music a billion times over. I have the same sort of deal with Ghostbusters, for example.

Super Roots #9 by Boredoms/Vooredoms. Now, Boredoms, or whatever they call themselves now, are a fantastic band, and a criminally under-rated one at that - they're clearly not a band likely to break into the Top 40 any time soon, but in terms of exploring the outer limits of music (while not disappearing up their own arses in the name of "experimenting"), they're pretty much unsurpassed. The problem is, they're a bitch to get into - where the fuck do you start?

Well, this will do. One track, a little over forty minutes long, recorded live on Christmas Eve 2004, and the instrumentation is listed as "3 drum sets, 1 turntable, 2 CDJ & 24 choir"...enough to pique my interest, certainly. And it's fucking brilliant, really phenomenal stuff - there's not a lot happening, it borders on drone in its minimalism, but at the same time it's all-consuming, it's nearly transcendental in its power and beauty. In fact, I just checked my mp3 player to see how long there was left of the track, only to find that it's repeated and is about halfway through again. I've been listening to this song for nearly an hour - I've not bored of it, not tired of it, it's just there, creating sonic perfection. This is music to be played loud, long, and often. This is music as art, as post-Dadaism, music as experience, music with performer and audience becoming one. This is music to lose yourself in, and to find yourself in. This is what music SHOULD fucking be.

Edited by Skummy

I've been jamming a lot of Witchtrap lately. They are becoming one of my favorite thrash metal bands as of late, just really fucking cool all around.

I've found that there are two Witchtraps, the one I'm referring to is a group in South America.

Heavy Drinker is the first song on their album No Anesthesia, and I think it's fitting.

I've been a rap mood all night, so I'm listen to Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquors. Really feeling "Hurt Me Soul" and "Daydreamin.'" I had been feeling the latter in the AT&T commercials, but didn't realize where it was from until tonight.

I bought a handful of CDs yesterday, so here's my thoughts:

More Dirty Laundry - The Soul Of Black Country

So...a compilation of black singers performing country songs, some of them standards, some of them lesser known, along with liner notes arguing the impact black people have had on country music, and the impact country music has had on black culture. Most of it is pretty dreadful, regardless of the race of the performer - country music is one of those genres that can be phenonemally moving when done well, but utter shite and bordering on self-parody when done badly. Personally, I never want to hear James Brown sing country again, and I can live without Sammy Davis Jr singing a pseudo-country novelty "Boy Named Sue" soundalike. Some of the tracks are good, or nice curios - Joe Tex's "King Of The Road" is a good take, O.B. McClinton turns in a fantastic "If Loving You Is Wrong", and Johnny Adams' "Hell Yes I Cheated" is good stuff...but for the most part this is exceptionally dull.

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

....why did no one tell me this band were good? I was under the impression that they were sub-Klaxons "nu rave" NME wank, but they're actually rather good. Nothing brilliant, and gets a bit samey by the end of the album, but they are definitely good.

"Discovered" - A Collection Of Daft Funk Samples

Why it says "Daft Funk", I don't know. But, basically, this is an album of songs that have been sampled by Daft Punk, most of them obscure funk tracks. Some good, some bad, all of them interesting to see where familiar riffs came from - "Release The Beast" by Breakwater, the source of "Robot Rock" is probably the standout track, and Little Anthony & The Imperials' "Can You Imagine" (sampled in Crescendolls) is just outright bizarre, although mostly because I'm only used to them as a charming doo-wop band, not weird disco.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

"The Twin" is something of a secret hero of mine - I'm not as familiar with his work as I'd like to be, as his back catalogue can be incredibly impenetrable, but when it comes to dissonant or vaguely uncomfortable techno, or just genuinely interesting and intelligent techno or dance music, he's well ahead of the crowd - he's also one of the best live performers I've ever seen, and genuinely groundbreaking in many ways. So a collection of early work from his formative years left me very, very excited.

Unfortunately, like a lot of his "AFX" ambient work, it leaves a lot to be desired. The final track, "Actium" is a really beauty, but other than that, there's very little that stands out here. It's a nice addition to the collection, and it's interesting in the way that many "early years" compilations can be, giving you a hint of where certain ideas were first formulated, and it's also very much ahead of its time - as I said, a lot of it sounds dull, but imagining it in the late '80s or early '90s I admit it would be somewhat without precedent, and seems to exist really outside of any known field of influence in its genre, so it's obviously got that going for it - but at the same time, truly great music should be great outside of its historical context, and as it is, there are other albums, and other Aphex Twin albums, that I'd turn to well before this one.

I've just started listening to Muse, so I decided to purchase Black Holes & Revelations on iTunes. My favourite song is easily Map of the Problematique. It is truly epic and the video on youtube is really cool.

Oh yeah, the Wrestlemania 24 tune by Red Hot Chili Peppers is a true anthem. HEYYYYYYYYY OH!