The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

So to follow up my confused post earlier, do Nintendo tend to state if a game is coming out for New 3DS's only? The Pokemon and Mario Party games just say "coming to the 3DS family" so should that work on a standard 2DS?

I think if it says New before the model then you can only use that game on the New model. If it says for New 3DS then I think you can use it on the New 2DS.

I think.

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

So to follow up my confused post earlier, do Nintendo tend to state if a game is coming out for New 3DS's only? The Pokemon and Mario Party games just say "coming to the 3DS family" so should that work on a standard 2DS?

As far as I know, yes. I think the only game announced yesterday that's exclusive to the "New" systems is Minecraft.

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

deep hurting

deep hurting

Think about it this way - the longer they take in revealing the game, potentially they are working on the game. 

I am all for a new Smash game, but I want stuff added to the port. Splatoon, Shovel Knight, an Arms character, maybe something from Odyssey and BOTW. Nintendo should take their time. 

• Like 2

I have another question (I know surprising right?) what do amibos do? Like I enjoy little figures but I know they do something in the games. Like there is an option in the Zelda menu for them. Are they worth it or if I get one should I just be happy with a cool looking little figure?

They usually just give you an extra item or two. I don't collect them myself, but I know that they can be used in several different games. For example, a Mario figure might be used in Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Rabbids Battle Kingdom and several other titles for different effects. They're by no means game changers, but they do have a number of functions.

4 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I have another question (I know surprising right?) what do amibos do? Like I enjoy little figures but I know they do something in the games. Like there is an option in the Zelda menu for them. Are they worth it or if I get one should I just be happy with a cool looking little figure?

The ones in Zelda are kinda cool - they give you extra items but some of them do special things. For instance having Wolf Link will actually spawn him in the game as a companion, and some of the Link ones from other games will spawn bits of tunic that match those games - but they aren't actually good bits of gear and you find better stuff playing the game. The BOTW specific ones will spawn items once a day for you too based off what they are - Bow & Arrow Link will spawn arrows and bows, etc.

Any non-Zelda ones will spawn random food and stuff I think.

4 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I managed to get a used 3DS XL on eBay today for under $100. Any 3DS titles that are must haves for anyone who has a system on here?

Depends on the types of games you are into, it's easy to run off the main titles like Pokemon Zelda, Luigi's Manson and Mario Kart,you also have the physical release of Mega Man Legacy, basically the first 6 Mega Man games in one bundle plus challenges and if thats your thing there is always Shovel Knight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iDOL said:

I managed to get a used 3DS XL on eBay today for under $100. Any 3DS titles that are must haves for anyone who has a system on here?

The Zelda game is great, A Link Between Worlds. I highly recommend that. And you cant go wrong with Mario Kart or Mario 3D Land.

Oh, and Steamworld: Heist is a great little turn based shooter kind of like a 2D Xcom. Super Smash Bros is fun but I was a little upset at no proper single player mode.

• Like 1

I played a bit of Project Octopath Traveler, a game that needs to drop one of the non-Octopath words in its title. I like it, I think! It's been so long since I've played a classic JRPG-style game that it was actually pretty refreshing to wander around a cavern and level-grind to beat a boss. The combat system reminds me of Bravely Default in that you can boost the number of attacks you do in a single turn, and each enemy has this sort of guard system where if you attack them a certain amount of times with whatever form of offense they're weak against, you can stun them for a turn and do more damage. If it's in the $20-$40 range I could see myself buying it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I played a bit of Project Octopath Traveler, a game that needs to drop one of the non-Octopath words in its title. I like it, I think! It's been so long since I've played a classic JRPG-style game that it was actually pretty refreshing to wander around a cavern and level-grind to beat a boss. The combat system reminds me of Bravely Default in that you can boost the number of attacks you do in a single turn, and each enemy has this sort of guard system where if you attack them a certain amount of times with whatever form of offense they're weak against, you can stun them for a turn and do more damage. If it's in the $20-$40 range I could see myself buying it.

I was intrigued by the footage of the game from the recent Nintendo Direct, so I appreciate this. The art style looks fantastic.

I haven't played it yet, picked up the demo over the weekend and had actually completely forgotten about it before seeing your post - I'm definitely going to have to give it a go tonight now. I loved Bravely Default (never got round to Bravely Second, though), and the art style is absolutely gorgeous. I can't really see myself diving headlong into a JRPG any time soon, as it's not the sort of game I'm giving much time to lately, but if anything's going to hook me it's something like that.

Played up to the first boss as Primrose in Project Octopath Traveller - the game is a lot more hard-hitting and "adult" than I expected, given the fairly comedic romp that a lot of Bravely Default was. The artwork is gorgeous. I still don't fully understand the battle system, and died against the first boss, though :(

Fuck teleporting bad guys on Mario/Rabbids.