Nintendo Megathread 2024

K

3 hours ago, RPS said:

The DS and 3DS are great systems, so grabbing them is ap great idea. I think lower budget, 2D, original titles have been lost in the Switch franchise and the modern budget of games. Pokemon Black, A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land are great examples. A new original game like either would ever show up on new hardware. Smart, fun, designed for the platforms, but not so ambitious in terms of fidelity and scope. 

Ended up actually pivoting back to Amazon and got a refurbished 3DS. The gamestop reviews made me nervous, and amazon has an extended return policy.

Also grabbed one of the 300 game deals that has the game he mentioned specifically plus other Mario stuff. So hopefully this works for him.

Be wary with pre-owned consoles from Gamestop.

They're not all bad, but it's hard to get them to replace a dud unless you bought the warranty, and even then, they typically "use" the warranty and you have to pay for that again on your replacement. (Unless things have changed since I left the company.)

I once spoke to someone who worked on the refurbishing end of things, and what I was told is that basically, unless there's an obvious issue that needs fixing, they aren't actively seeking out repairs that may need to be made. Essentially, that means that people who know their consoles are on their last legs can trade them in and if they seem to run just fine when tested, they're cleaned up and sent out for sale.

Pre-owned consoles gave me all kinds of headaches as a store manager there. On the one hand, you're held to a standard in regards to how many you can move, but on the other hand, it's kind of shitty to sell something to someone that you don't have faith in.

They did, however, have a much larger success rate than the pre-owned phones and tablets we sold. I'm pretty certain the refurbishing team had no idea what they were doing with those beyond doing a factory reset and maybe replacing a damaged screen.

On 06/11/2023 at 15:35, Gabriel said:

Be wary with pre-owned consoles from Gamestop.

They're not all bad, but it's hard to get them to replace a dud unless you bought the warranty, and even then, they typically "use" the warranty and you have to pay for that again on your replacement. (Unless things have changed since I left the company.)

I once spoke to someone who worked on the refurbishing end of things, and what I was told is that basically, unless there's an obvious issue that needs fixing, they aren't actively seeking out repairs that may need to be made. Essentially, that means that people who know their consoles are on their last legs can trade them in and if they seem to run just fine when tested, they're cleaned up and sent out for sale.

Pre-owned consoles gave me all kinds of headaches as a store manager there. On the one hand, you're held to a standard in regards to how many you can move, but on the other hand, it's kind of shitty to sell something to someone that you don't have faith in.

They did, however, have a much larger success rate than the pre-owned phones and tablets we sold. I'm pretty certain the refurbishing team had no idea what they were doing with those beyond doing a factory reset and maybe replacing a damaged screen.

Yea, I ended up going with Amazon because I can still return it until the end of January.

I will say I bought a refurbished X-Box One from gamestop about two years ago and its been absolutely brilliant. It could very well be that the previous owner took good care of it but it arrived in nice shape and has performed as expected. 

But I just had my own recent horror story of refurbished items so I understand the caution.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • C-MIL changed the title to Nintendo Megathread 2024

It felt to me as if they put something together more for the sake of tradition than anything else. Most of the game covered today had already been announced.

I think Nintendo is at the point where they don't have much that's ready to reveal before they formally introduce the next console. That's apparently been pushed back to Q1 2025, so it will be interesting to see if they're in a position to talk about it before the usual June Direct.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying the Unicorn Overlord demo. I use the present tense because I still haven't finished it after two hours of play.

With Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Reload and Eiyuden Chronicle coming in the first four months of the year, it's a remarkably busy time for tactical/turn-based RPGs. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that many fans of those games will also be looking forward to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm enjoying the Unicorn Overlord demo. I use the present tense because I still haven't finished it after two hours of play.

With Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Reload and Eiyuden Chronicle coming in the first four months of the year, it's a remarkably busy time for tactical/turn-based RPGs. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that many fans of those games will also be looking forward to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

The first half of this year is stacked. I am eating good.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 11:27, Ruki said:

Not too much jumped out at me, outside of the Unicorn Overlord demo today & the SMT:V re-release (which I have not played yet).Also, kind of a flop of a final announcement I feel?

Endless Ocean is massive for me - probably the only thing I care about in there. It's been a cult classic for a long time since the Wii release and so far it's the only Nintendo release that I really think I'll be picking up this year. Although seeing Pocket Card Jockey playable on modern hardware is nice too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember hearing something to that effect months back as well, and I welcome anything that makes the Switch as a unit something a bit more solid, if that's the goal. I actually switched away from the main units when I needed a replacement and went with the Switch Lite (unsure of when the next unit would launch, and to save some money) and I'm happy I did. A proper size for what I need it for and no annoying wiggle and waggle.