The England thread

Well, it's never going to happen because everyone who will make up that squad is currently between 13-23 and has already passed through most of a youth system that leaves them miles behind our competition.

By any chance does his chairmanship expire in 2021?

Although it's not quite as ludicrous as it sounds, Man City's new state of the art academy should be in motion by then and I'd be surprised if there aren't a few other top clubs looking to improve youth facilities by then with the whole 6+5 thing coming in (or did that get scrapped? ). I know GFH are looking at completely overhauling our academy system although that seems to be with the intent of attracting African, Middle Eastern and Eastern European talent given they're intending to build a training base in the middle east.

2026 would probably be more realistic given these academies probably won't be up and running until the back end of this decade

Well, the 'homegrown' rule doesn't mean a player has to be English, they just need to have spent 3 years at a club before they're 21, so teams are just going to hoover up better quality foreigners when they're 17.

Back from the break...

Chiles: "Let's all coo at the Wembley arch. Don't you love the arch? Oooh."

"Now, over to Woy."

Woy: "We want to play football and score goals and stuff. Indeed some of our players also play football elsewhere so I just told them, y'know, do that."

"Fantastic! Now, off to the match!"

Is this really the England coverage or have I accidentally stumbled into a comedy parody?