General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 hours ago, C-MIL said:

Finished the new season of Orange Is The New Black. Holy shit, do I need something to cheer me up. It was good, but bleeeeeak.

Anyone have recommendations for something more lighthearted?

Transparent is a pretty lighthearted show that deals with what could be a heavy subject. 

• Like 1

I dunno, I found Transparent pretty heavy at times, it kind of effortlessly blends lightheartedness and drama, but I found it effective and emotive. It reminds me that I need to watch the second season of that, the first was so good.

For now, I decided to start watching Thirteen, an original BBC 3 mini-series. Our quality of television has dramatically improved over the last few years, and this had a very promising first episode, which doesn't break challenge any preconceptions of a BBC drama, but it feels like it could be good. It's a shame that shows struggle so much to cast an equally strong ensemble, you can tell there's already one or two weak links, but two or three of the leads will definitely go onto bigger things, which is surely the point of something like BBC 3. 

• Like 1

Just started Crazy Ex-girlfriend. It seems pretty interesting. Josh Chan may be one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen.

Edit: Episode 2 - the White Josh exchange :lol:

Edit 2: Fuck it. The entire supermarket scene. I can tell I'm going to like this show.

Man, Peaky Blinders S01E05 was just so weird. Why was everything seemingly wrapped up at the end, and that last scene was just confusing, it made me think that was the end of the season and I had to double check to see if there was a sixth episode for the first season. There is, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm just confused now.

Watched first three episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend last night. It is not the show I expected from the title, it's pretty damned delightful and quaint. Some of the comedy is hit and miss, but when it hits hard it really hits, and the songs are similarly great.
Highlights from each episode:

Spoiler
  • "The Sexy Getting Ready Song" in episode one being combined with the scene done in the credits run was absolutely hilarious
  • The aforementioned supermarket scene in episode two, just the entire series of exchanges had me tittering like a child (and "I'm So Good at Yoga" was pretty amusing too)
  • Episode three was the weakest of the three, but "A Boy Band Made of Joshes" was funny, and the episode was still good

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Also started Deadwood the other day. Doing a pace of an episode a day as I feel like any more is a bit much.

Really liking it. Olyphant is his usual glorious self, but Calamity Jane is by far my favourite character.

I couldn't watch Deadwood without seeing Lovejoy

• Like 1

I somewhat enjoyed Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but I feel like it would have been better as a 30 minute episode instead of 60. I think I dropped it after 5 or 6 episodes. Rachel Bloom is fantastic though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colly said:

That's surely a good thing.

Every time I see Lovejoy I think 'Pirate Lovejoy' or 'Cowboy Lovejoy', all because of you :wub:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Benji said:

Watched first three episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend last night. It is not the show I expected from the title, it's pretty damned delightful and quaint. Some of the comedy is hit and miss, but when it hits hard it really hits, and the songs are similarly great.
    Highlights from each episode:

Hide contents
    • "The Sexy Getting Ready Song" in episode one being combined with the scene done in the credits run was absolutely hilarious
    • The aforementioned supermarket scene in episode two, just the entire series of exchanges had me tittering like a child (and "I'm So Good at Yoga" was pretty amusing too)
    • Episode three was the weakest of the three, but "A Boy Band Made of Joshes" was funny, and the episode was still good

My favorite episode #3 song is by far "I Have Friends" but maybe that's because it's in the pantheon of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Songs I Relate To Too Much.

• Like 1