NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Aaron Rome has been suspended for 4 games. I am not sure what to make of the hit. It was definitely a late hit, but I am not sure if I would call it a blind-side hit or a head hit. It was a vicious hit, and Horton's head bounced off the ice with incredible force.

I love the move by Philadelphia to get the rights to Bryzgalov. Assuming they work out a deal, Bryz will be a huge upgrade in net. It will be hard to see anyone beating Philly in that division.

Bryz wants mega-bucks though. Does your opinion hold when they have to get rid of a key piece?

Bryzgalov is a solid netminder, with a solid D in front of him he'll be even better. You can always make something else expendable to upgrade in a position as trivial as goaltending.

I love the move by Philadelphia to get the rights to Bryzgalov. Assuming they work out a deal, Bryz will be a huge upgrade in net. It will be hard to see anyone beating Philly in that division.

Philadelphia won't sign Bryz, this is just a continuance of their philosophy that draft picks can go get fucked. It's sort of the anti-Detroit approach.

Also, considering Chara got nothing for attempted murder, four Stanley Cup final games for (an admittedly dirty, but still a) hockey hit is a bit of bullshit. They threw the book at him because he's Aaron Rome. If he's Alex Elder or Bieksa, he's enough of a name that he gets 1 game. Chara would get nothing for a hit like that because he's a star. Because it's Aaron Rome, though, he's done for the year.

Bit bunk.

I don't think there should have been a suspension at all.

He left his feet and the hit was late, but other than that, it wasn't really that bad. It wasn't charging. It wasn't a head shot. Five minutes and a game was more than suitable for the crime.

In Flames news, the team hired Craig Hartsburg as an assistant coach for next season, reuniting him with Brent Sutter. The duo had a large amount of success at the World Junior level, so this is exciting news for me.

With so much in the sports media about head injuries and cheap shots, it was a great opportunity for the NHL to show how serious it is about making sure these things don't happen anymore. Suspending a guy for a hit like that in the Cup Final shows a lot of more casual sports fans that the NHL isn't ignoring what doctors have been telling the NFL.

But that said, normally the penalty would have been 5 minutes and a game.

I don't think there should have been a suspension at all.

He left his feet and the hit was late, but other than that, it wasn't really that bad. It wasn't charging. It wasn't a head shot. Five minutes and a game was more than suitable for the crime.

If you leave your feet, it's charging. It was late, it was charging, but they need to stop being reactionary with their hits. They took Rome to the box for a two minute minor, but once they stretchered out Horton, they took him back to the dressing room and suspended him. You can't suspend someone to save face because a guy got hurt. You have to suspend the action, not the result.