General Football Thread

Starvinho

We were much fitter than them and panicked less. I'm so proud of the performance but just wish we could get out of this fucking league. 3 years of play off failure in a row just hurts so much

• Admin
The final of the Coppa Italia Women has been cancelled after a football official allegedly referred to female players as a "bunch of lesbians".
The comment was included in the written minutes of an amateur football meeting last week.
However, Felice Belloli, president of Italy's amateur football association, who is accused of making the statement, has denied doing so.
Brescia were due to face Tavagnacco in the final on Saturday.

• Admin
The Palestine Football Association (PFA) has complained to Fifa over Israeli authorities holding up a national team player as the squad travelled to Tunisia on Thursday.
The PFA say Sameh Maraabah was temporarily detained by Israeli authorities crossing between the West Bank and Jordan.
The PFA has already requested Fifa vote on suspending the Israeli Football Association, who they claim have violated rules relating to racism, players' free movement and where clubs are based. World football's governing body could vote at its next congress on 29 May.

• Admin

_82588513_twitter.jpg

Algeria's Ligue 1. With four games to play, 11 points separate top and bottom, meaning all 16 teams can still win the title - or get relegated. The table gets weirder the more you examine it. MC Oran, for instance, are third but have scored less goals than any other side, while Bejaia have lost four of their last five but are still somehow second. The fourth-placed team, meanwhile, have a goal difference of -1.

http://int.soccerway.com/national/algeria/ligue-1/20142015/regular-season/r25605/

Tight.

Sol 'They won't make me England manager because I am black' Campbell now wants to be Mayor of London.

I've started watching the Premier League Years series on Sky that's always on but I've never really had time to watch. It's great to watch the action from the 90s, purely to remember some of the players that graced us throughout the history of the league..

Like Regi Blinker. Or Sasa Curcic. Or Dmitri Kharine.

• Like 1

• Admin
Rivaldo, the former Barcelona and Brazil forward, has announced he could make a comeback at the age of 43, 15 months after hanging up his boots.
The 43-year-old, who was part of the team who won the 2002 World Cup and was voted Fifa’s World Player of the Year in 1999, played one match for the Brazilian Serie B club Mogi Mirim in December 2013 before announcing his retirement.
However, after a difficult start to the season in which Mogi Mirim have picked up just three points from their first eight matches, Rivaldo – who is president of the club based in São Paulo – has decided to make himself available for training with a view to potentially featuring later in the season.
“After a lot of thinking and analysing the pros and cons, I have decided to join the Mogi Mirim squad,” Rivaldo wrote on Facebook.
“That doesn’t mean I’m going to play because I’ve been out for a long time and now only administering the club. I stopped playing professionally 15 months ago. If my knee is OK, maybe I can help in a few games. But training will help me to decide.”

I've started watching the Premier League Years series on Sky that's always on but I've never really had time to watch. It's great to watch the action from the 90s, purely to remember some of the players that graced us throughout the history of the league..

The Premier league in the 90s was a very different thing really. It wasn't off limits to the odd star player from Europe but more often than not the best players went to Italy.

In my head I've kinda likened the modern MLS to the mid 90s Premier League. It's got a bit of money and can attract big names but usually only ones that are getting on a bit in years.

I don't think that changed until the early 2000s.

• Like 1

The Premier league in the 90s was a very different thing really. It wasn't off limits to the odd star player from Europe but more often than not the best players went to Italy.

In my head I've kinda likened the modern MLS to the mid 90s Premier League. It's got a bit of money and can attract big names but usually only ones that are getting on a bit in years.

I don't think that changed until the early 2000s.

Chelsea had a strong hand in that. I still remember all the complaints about how their squad only had about four English players.

• Like 1

90s Serie A was the best. When mid-table (and sometimes lower) Fiorentina could have a player like Gabriel Batistuta playing for them. And the noise. And the colour. And James Richardson on Channel 4.

Channel 4 Serie A was great. GOOOOALLLLLAAZZZIOOOOOO

• Like 2