General Web Series Thread (YouTubers, LPs, Vloggers Etc)

Hobo

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high

Oancitizen looks at Art House films. He is funny and informative. His greatest works are probably The Man Who Fell To Earth, where he set sang the entire review to reworked David Bowie lyrics (and it helps he can sing) or when he explained the symbolism behind A Serbian Film.

He is right up that alley.

Other good ones? The Cinema Snob is constantly great. He is probably the only 'angry' reviewer whose schtick can not wear thin. He does not overly rely on references and callbacks like a lot do. And the character is just that, Brad Jones loves the genre he does on the show. Caligula is his favorite film.

Obscurus Lupa is great, goofy and generally like The Snob she loves the films she does and if she doesn't she will say. She isn't a this sucks type.

Phelous is one of my favourites but he is hard to get into. He is totally self aware about the silliness of Internet critic shows. Lots of call backs, in jokes, side characters and cameos but they're all done in a way that the humor comes the fact you know it's Phelous dressed as Shredder and so does he. He parodies a lot of tropes of the genre. It's been emulated by others a lot since.

I also like Film Brain, he isn't so much a comic as he is getting to be an actually good critic.

I've added more since but yeah he did Freddy Got Fingered with NChick.

Honestly can't praise that guy enough.

TGWTG 4th Year anniversary movie this year is called.... To Boldly Flee. Which is an awful title. It's worse than Kickassia. And the AVGN is in it. (he has been in all of them but he seems to have more of a role this time)

They have only put up a teaser but I'm assuming this has some follow on from the end of Suburban Knights which is a direct parody of the end of Wrath of Kahn.

I ended up liking Suburban Knights. I thought it made better use of a smaller cast and hid the weaknesses of some of the TGWTG producers as actors. Although the end was rather weak.

I tend to give them a free pass on making a dumb movie when Doug Walker's job is making fun of dumb movies. Joel Hodgson and Bill Corbett of MST3k were involved in writing Honey We Shrunk Ourselves and Meet Dave, respectively. Plus I don't think you're supposed to take them that seriously.

He pretty much is, he had a rape based explosion on Reddit a while ago:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/02/08/the-not-so-amazing-atheist-self-immolates/

He was also once on TGWTG as The Distressed Watcher but left. I think he said it was because the guy who supported him there left and he wasn't being promoted enough. But they were quite wise to get rid of him. He is rather vile.

Heh, I think my cousin is a fan of that guy. Or some really shit atheist internet reviewer type, anyway. He watches his show all the time and swears it's funny, but I watched one episode and was like "Wow, that guy is a completely unfunny, annoying dick." and my cousin was flabbergasted that I didn't like it.

I like Oancitizen! And I haven't had time to check out any of the other reviewers you mentioned, but LadyDaniel made me check out the anime reviewer (JesuSomething), and she was aight. But Oancitizen is probably already up there with Nostalgia Chick for me in terms of great reviewers.

That is because JonTron is awesome. I've played like zero of the games he reviews (although I was a big fan of Bubsy when I was a little kid), but his reviews are so damn entertaining. May have to kill the rest of my workday with JonTron.

The next Unemployed Historian is currently uploading to blip!

Very slowly.

This is going to take two hours.

I've just started watching, but I've gotta say, your voice on the voice-over parts is way, way more muddled than the voice of you speaking to the camera. Why is this? I don't really know much about A/V editing but are you using a different mic? If that's all it is, you should just record the audio the same way you're recording the video.

Different microphone and the effect of audacity's noise removal tool. I don't have access to the cameras all the time so I'm left to recording on it. I'm still learning how to get the best out of it. Results vary.

Basically, I need a better mic for voice overs. Used a different camera this time too (due to actually having a good tripod and better battery life) and shot way later so the lighting is a bit darker.

I think it was okay again. The main thing I would say is you need to work on your comic beats. A lot of the time you don't let the set-up hang enough before delivering the punch. Editing needs work, not just on the audio bits but on the way you use your clips/pictures and your direct portions, but I expect you're feeling that all out as you go along. I got a kick out of the "revolutionary slash finance minister" line and there were a few other pretty good ones. Maybe don't lean so heavy on the masturbation jokes, though.

The act of you, presumably, reading your own script was very noticable this time around. For whatever reason I can't recall picking up on it much back in Parnell, maybe I was too busy picking out other stuff to give feedback on. Maybe caus, as you say, you try to did this as more of an essay so you had more passages of reasearch to read out?

And when you mention them occupying the biscuit factory, the thought popped into my head of the locals being all 'You may take our post office but you'll never take our biscuits!' and by the end of the video, sure enough... :shifty:

Thanks guys. Those were all things I was concerned over myself. Particularly where my eyes were going I think laptop with the script might have been better placed in the first one.

I'm hoping I'll get better with editing as I go on. I've not done much of it outside of this series.

And yes I made two madturbation jokes but one was a literary reference! Because it was Bloomsday recently. :P