2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

As wonderful as Sandy Alderson has been at stockpiling talented young arms and finding hidden gems in the draft for the team's future, his philosophy on building a roster at the big league level really sucks.  In typical Moneyball fashion he completely disregards hitting for average and defense, and in turn you end up with a bunch of largely unathletic dudes putting up goose eggs for weeks at a time before somebody heats up.  It's honestly a chore to watch and that's with baseball being one of my biggest passions.

Mets team batting average the last 5 years compared out of 15 NL teams:
2013:  14th
2014:  12th
2015:  13th
2016:  12th
2017:  14th

And as I type this, they're swinging for the fences with the bases empty in the 9th despite being down by 2.

Syndergaard was scratched due to tendonitis and Cespedes appeared to injure himself rounding the bases.  Bad day for Mets.

Unrelated, this is hilarious: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/04/27/1325017283/1493251891910/asset_2500K.mp4

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Maxx said:

Syndergaard was scratched due to tendonitis and Cespedes appeared to injure himself rounding the bases.  Bad day for Mets.

Unrelated, this is hilarious: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/04/27/1325017283/1493251891910/asset_2500K.mp4

That's a little league home run if I've ever seen one.

• Like 1

Only the Mets could finally win a series against their top division rival and yet still end it in such a way that I feel just as hopeless as I did before it started.

Syndergaard being out for a long time is probably the final knockout blow for the team.  Their pitching situation has basically turned into Generation K all over again.

You just can't build a team entirely on pitching in today's game because it's impossible for young pitchers to avoid injury when they're conditioned to throw 95 MPH 95-100 times a game rather than pace themselves.  

The Cubs' model of loading up on young hitters is a far safer bet.  The Mets need to hope guys like Amed Rosario, Dom Smith, and Gavin Cecchini can come up and tear the cover off the ball like Michael Conforto has as that'll be their best chance at contending in the immediate future.