Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

7 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I could see them having Bucky take over the Captain America for a few movies, then maybe Evans might want to return, or going in a different direction with the character. But, I don't know if it would work in a single movie setting. It would probably be in the team up movies.

A Bucky Cap and Spider-Man team up movie could be a lot of fun if they decide to kill off Steve Rogers in Avengers 3 or 4.

There's not a chance that they'll recast Steve Rogers/Cap and just continue on like nothing happen. Would they do it for a supporting character, ala War Machine? Yeah, because these characters aren't essential to the plot of any movie, those actors are interchangeable.

To be fair, they changed the actor for Hulk, though that was during a different time. 

There's no way they'd swap Evans for someone else, though, his face is synonymous with Cap in an MCU setting now. It'd be like recasting Wolverine, unless they do a complete reboot, which I'm pretty sure they're not going to do.

Why studios show a footage at conventions but not release it to the general public? I came across a full video of It in Youtube, when down a minute into watching it :crying:.

5 hours ago, tristy said:

There's not a chance that they'll recast Steve Rogers/Cap and just continue on like nothing happen. Would they do it for a supporting character, ala War Machine? Yeah, because these characters aren't essential to the plot of any movie, those actors are interchangeable.

Bit racist. :shifty:

• Like 1

I feel the Don Cheadle for Terrence Howard situation is a weird one. And mostly due to some scumbag tactics on behalf of a casting director (they massively low-balled Howard), and then opted for Cheadle when Howard refused to come back. But as a whole, Rhodey wasn't established in Iron Man 1 other than sparse interactions, it was only in Iron Man 2 where he got the War Machine suit and really got to shine as a legit hero himself. It was also in the very early stages o the MCU, so weirdness all around.

I honestly believe that Marvel wouldn't recast a major character, it would fly into the face of what they have built up over the past 10 years plus. Steve Rogers is Steve Rogers, and whilst I can see them shuffle the shield around if Rogers die, I can't for the life of me imagine Marvel grabbing a different actor and passing them off as the same character.

They have seen how the general fandom reacts to retconning and rebooting as done by FOX and Sony way too many times. People disliked the fact they retconned the X-Men universe, and the only reason they've accepted the recasted characters is because they are better than the old characters. But even then people groan over the fact FOX decided to level the playing field, promise new adventures, and once more return the overdone Jean/Cyclops romance they already built once.

People have given up on the Fantastic Four as a whole, since they've been rebooted thrice in 25 years, and they've all been poor to terrible, with one not even being released to the public. Spiderman everyone had given up hope on, and only Marvel's hype machine has recovered that.

Honestly, I would be downright shocked if Marvel ever decided to recast a significant character with a new actor/actress. With their ability to hype and build new characters and stars, they also really don't have to at all. It'll take a while before Marvel runs out of characters. There's no reason to take a massive risk of alienating their entire committed fanbase by recasting.

The Hulk argument about "Marvel would never recast a major character" hardly works, either. How much screen time has Bruce Banner/Mark Ruffalo gotten on-screen compared to the CGI Hulk? I bet it's a small number compared to the latter. People might debate this, but in my opinion, it's the CGI character that people care about more than the actual human character (and I say this as a big Ruffalo fan). Hell, it looks like we're getting more Hulk than Banner in the new Thor, so that only goes to prove my point that Hulk is vastly more important than Bruce Banner in the MCU.

As it is, I see Captain America dying in Infinity War and Bucky or Falcon taking up the mantle. Because of that death, Stark will retire from all of this. The "billionaire genius" that funds the Avengers going forward can be Hank Pym. Also, Black Widow will die. I kind of feel like it's time to clear out the "old guard" of characters, especially when they aren't doing much within the MCU. Hawkeye can retire finally and live with his family on that farm, Black Widow dies because she only knows her espionage work and will make the sacrifice.

They'll want you to think one of the early deaths in the film (Widow/Hawkeye/Vision/etc) is the shocking death that we all expect, but Stark or Cap is the real one that absolutely has to happen.

I don't think it's impossible to recast a bigger role, but it won't be done overnight. If Steve Rogers dies or disappears after Infinity War, and Chris Evans doesn't come back... I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility that a few movies down the road, they reveal Rogers returning as a major surprise, with a new actor. But it won't be someone ust coming in and getting a solo film immediately, and it won't be recasting a character to avoid having to write them off.

2 hours ago, tristy said:

They'll want you to think one of the early deaths in the film (Widow/Hawkeye/Vision/etc) is the shocking death that we all expect, but Stark or Cap is the real one that absolutely has to happen.

Well they already did the bait and switch death in Age of Ultron where everyone thought Hawkeye was going to get mowed down by Ultron, and instead it was Quicksilver who pushed him to safety using his superspeed.

The difference is, they wanted you to think Hawkeye was going to die but it was actually Quicksilver. This time around, it's going to be a secondary character and one of the big stars. Or Thanos just goes on a rampage and mows down the entire Bargain Bin Avengers.

6 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Wasn't bringing back Agent Coulson without telling anyone at Marvel Studios what cause all of the Marvel TV Universe to be a non-factor in the Cinematic Universe? At least that is what I heard.

That sounds like a preposterous rumour, really. Because by all accounts the Whedon's had to run everything past Quesada/Feige and Co. before they started the show. It would make no sense for the show to bring back Coulson (in their pilot episode!) without anybody knowing.

I think they've just decided to not involve the series into the film canon because of the vast difference in viewership between the two medias. It would be a huge ask for the movie going public to ALSO be fully schooled in what happened on the Netflix show, or on Agents of SHIELD.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Actually it's mostly due to them being run by different teams, they probably wanted to initially, but realized the logistics were near impossible. To have characters from the show be involved in the movie, the show would have to know exactly what was going to happen in the movie to incorporate the show character in so that their timelines would match. They tried it initially with things like the SHIELD helicarrier in season 2 of AoS, but it came off clunky as the movie premiered the week before that episode aired.

Plus, a movie has a cinema run for weeks. People would be spoiled by something in the movie if they saw show characters reacting or being involved in a portion of the movie.

Besides that, I'm pretty sure the show writers didn't really like having to play second fiddle to the movies and what directions they were going in, having to cram in movie-related stuff into the show so that it'll fit while still telling their own show.