The Google Stadia Thread

GoGo Yubari

18 minutes ago, TCO said:

I think cloud gaming isn't quite there yet. Internet connections quick enough to run AAA title just aren't widespread enough yet and gaming has consistently fought back against extreme DRM.

That's the biggest thing that stifles any excitement I might have had for cloud gaming. The infrastructure to support it probably won't be in place in my area for several years at least, so it's not even an option for me.

Nor I, unless I want to spend more money on my connection - which'll be spotty at best anyways.

Besides that, I'm shaky enough with most of my game library being digital - but being entirely locked away from stuff if the service was attacked/went down/was in service is top tier annoying as well.

There is absolutely zero reason, given Google's track record of doing the same things others are doing but worse and then canceling it within 2-3 years, that they should be trusted with a goddamn gaming service of all things.

• Like 2

Yeah, and even if it becomes like YouTube and actually gets big (unlikely given that YouTube was already hot before Google bought them and Google arguably made the platform worse), that probably means that devs will get screwed hard financially. ESPECIALLY indie devs.

Here's the thing--based on what I've read, and this is just one example, an 800 GB game running at 60 fps at the resolution they want is going to be... 800GB of bandwidth. That's massive, and most Comcast plans have a 1TB bandwidth limit per month.

This is going to be an absolute disaster on the N-Gage scale. They're talking entirely about what this thing is capable of on their end with very little talk of what's going to happen on the consumer end; almost nobody is going to have the home internet speed to run this thing the way they're hyping it up. That's the advantage of a dedicated console: a Switch is a Switch is a Switch, whether you're running it on a gargantuan home theater system with a lightning-fast system or a dinky hundred-dollar TV with 1Mbps from Down-Home Country Innurnets.

The technology just isn't there for it unless you're ridiculously rich, the stream delay is going to be enough to make basically all fighting games a pain in the ass (hope you like using The Next Generation Of Gaming to play card games and turn-based strategy!), and--again--it's Google doing something besides Gmail and YouTube.

So you'll pardon me if I'm... just a little cynical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

Hey! That's my provider!

(basically true :shifty:)

it's the only ISP where you call customer support and they recommend you fix your problems with "dubyadeeforty"

(I literally only have high-speed internet because Dayton is right next to me so I'm absolutely talking about myself too)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I hereby resurrect this thread to bring you alarming news, news that I'm sure will shock each and every one of you to your very core.

Really, you might want to sit down for this one.

Google Stadia is to be shutdown on January 18th 2023.

I know, who could have possibly seen this one coming?! But, it's not all bad news. They're actually going to refund all purchases made through the Stadia store and refund all hardware purchases made through the Google store. So, in my case, I'll have essentially lent Rich Uncle Google £20 for about 15 months and gotten a free Chromecast, a free controller and about 10 minutes of playing the PUBG tutorial out of it. At least, I assume they're not going to send their goons around and ask for it back...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

I hereby resurrect this thread to bring you alarming news, news that I'm sure will shock each and every one of you to your very core.

Really, you might want to sit down for this one.

Google Stadia is to be shutdown on January 18th 2023.

I know, who could have possibly seen this one coming?! But, it's not all bad news. They're actually going to refund all purchases made through the Stadia store and refund all hardware purchases made through the Google store. So, in my case, I'll have essentially lent Rich Uncle Google £20 for about 15 months and gotten a free Chromecast, a free controller and about 10 minutes of playing the PUBG tutorial out of it. At least, I assume they're not going to send their goons around and ask for it back...

the-simpsons-bill-gates.gif

But yeah, not at all shocked that things went in this direction. I'm only shocked it didn't happen sooner.

• Haha 2