UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Lineker

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Stephen Warnock's brain-dead commentary reminding me why I don't generally enjoy listening to these games on the radio.

Is it better than listening to Mcmanaman going Fletch, Fletch, Fletch, look at Simeone, Fletch. Fletch..... 

2 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Is it better than listening to Mcmanaman going Fletch, Fletch, Fletch, look at Simeone, Fletch. Fletch..... 

I thankfully haven't been exposed to much McManaman. Warnock wouldn't be so bad but he just doesn't offer any real insight, lots of cliches and points that just aren't really worthwhile. He waffled on about Atletico's ball boys being slow to give Liverpool the ball, and Ian Dennis twice said to him "they can do what they want, surely?" but he still didn't drop it.

I'm not really a fan of this modern trend of having the colour commentator be affiliated to one of the clubs involved. It often leads to stuff like this. I think I listened to Alan Shearer in that role on the Liverpool/Barca game last year and it was way better.

3 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

76% Liverpool possession? Looks like classic Atletico shithousery. 

Its worked so fair play to them. We can score against them but we need to be quicker and start playing better out wide. Scruffy goal to concede mind. Don't think 1-0 defeat would be the be all and end all for us but its not ideal having away goals potentially be a factor.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I thankfully haven't been exposed to much McManaman. Warnock wouldn't be so bad but he just doesn't offer any real insight, lots of cliches and points that just aren't really worthwhile. He waffled on about Atletico's ball boys being slow to give Liverpool the ball, and Ian Dennis twice said to him "they can do what they want, surely?" but he still didn't drop it.

I'm not really a fan of this modern trend of having the colour commentator be affiliated to one of the clubs involved. It often leads to stuff like this. I think I listened to Alan Shearer in that role on the Liverpool/Barca game last year and it was way better.

Think it depends who it is, a lot of the time it can go either one or two ways of them being overly biased for or trying too hard to not seem biased. Suppose that then depends on the person commentating as well. Never really listened to Warnock but I listened to the 5 Live commentary for our game against Barca the day after and thought it was really good. Was quite shocked by Shearer tbh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I like Shearer anyway to be honest, his punditry is solid.

Erling Haaland has scored yet again.

And another!

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Stephen Warnock's brain-dead commentary reminding me why I don't generally enjoy listening to these games on the radio.

Pat Nevin is the best co-commentator on the wireless. And a terrific guest on Fighting Talk.

Dog of a game that but Atletico did enough to hold on. Be different at Anfield but gonna be a tough game nonetheless. Will always back us when our backs against the wall in Europe though. 

Have not missed Champions League refs though. Thought the officiating in our league was bad at times 

• Like 1

Atleti getting a fluke goal off a set piece was the worst start ever because it meant Atletico could just play like the wet dream of Big Sam and Tony Pulis. Which they did to perfection.

We were terrible today too, which didn't help. The delivery of the full backs was really bad, Salah was incredibly poor, Bobby couldn't get in the game. Definitely surprised to all hell by Klopp's changes in the match. This game was crying out for Naby in the midfield to try and create, or Ox to drive at the Atleti lines to try and make something happen. Instead, we got Ox on the wing for Salah.

Origi will forever be a cult hero and I will love him forever, but he's not a winger and was utterly useless tonight

• Like 1

I understand why Klopp took Mane off, he was on a yellow and seemed ready to go all to get a goal or get another yellow. We probably need him more for the second leg. I love Divock too, but the right guy to have brought on then was Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's more suited to play on the left and he loves to cut in and use his right foot. Origi was frustrating me because there was a couple of times that he had a really decent opportunity to cross the ball in, but opted to pass it down every time. That 2 minute span where VVD just stayed up in Atletico's box waiting for someone to cross the ball in, and nobody really did (and when Trent finally did, I'm pretty sure it was a low cross), that nearly did my head in.

Now AOC and Hendo might be injured, eurgh, sucks that I woke up at 4 in the morning for that. 

Oh yeah I absolutely agree with Mane. Atletico were going to try ever dirty bitch trick in the book to get him sent off. The rest were certainly puzzling.

Return leg will still be a real struggle, but as David said, always going to back us at Anfield.

• Like 1

Liverpool fans calling this "anti-football" on Twitter because Atleti defended their lead last night and won the game.

I watch Atleti play every single week and they're not a particularly entertaining watch, but you can't complain just because a side won't roll over for you.

ERF-PdHXkAAL0WP.jpeg

• Like 4