EWB Fantasy Football Symposium 2019

Maxx

I’d say that’s a bad argument.  What’s happening in the game itself isn’t really relevant.  While TEs are still being used, there’s only about 3 who are being used significantly.  The problem is you have a big drop off, which I don’t think you see with any other position.  If there were 6 good TEs I’d say we don’t flex it out, but there really aren’t.  And I mean good in terms of fantasy scoring,  not in the actual game.  

5 hours ago, DMN said:

Unlike the FB, I don't think the TE is really going anywhere, so I don't really like removing a position for, ultimately, what just seems to be people thinking it's a down period for the position, but in the end it's not really a deal breaker or anything, I'd just prefer to keep it.

Pretty much every team still uses a TE, to my knowledge, I'd almost argue that if you want to get rid of it as a position you might as well go completely position-less.

Kittle, Kelce, Ertz. Top 3 you would assume for the TE position. When you are going for the 7th best or later TE, in terms of fantasy production the comparison is not there.

8 hours ago, DMN said:

Unlike the FB, I don't think the TE is really going anywhere, so I don't really like removing a position for, ultimately, what just seems to be people thinking it's a down period for the position, but in the end it's not really a deal breaker or anything, I'd just prefer to keep it.

Pretty much every team still uses a TE, to my knowledge, I'd almost argue that if you want to get rid of it as a position you might as well go completely position-less.

I would be entirely in favour of this. Have QB, K, DEF, and then nothing but FLEX spots. The difference between running backs and tight ends is nowhere near as big as the difference between QBs and kickers. Anarchy rulz, that's what I vote for.

3 hours ago, Jake O. Rhodes said:

Who knows what this season will bring though?

OJ Howard, Hunter Henry, Evan Engram and more could all see significant leaps in production.

And that’s why we wouldn’t be eliminating the spot, just flexing it.  Take that chance if you want to take it.  

12 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I'm back in my account finally and ready to improve on my 2nd place finish.

Also TEs should be flex only. Other leagues are doing this too.

Well if other leagues jumped off a bridge would you do that too!? :o

I guess I don't really care about the changes but I do think writing off every TE as if it's impossible for another one to be good is kinda odd. I mean, I drafted Kittle in the 10th round last year. 

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

You guys do realize you can still draft TEs if we flex then right?  Everyone who is opposed to this is talking like the position is just vanishing entirely.  If there’s one you want to take a chance on in the 10th round, draft him.  I just don’t want half the league to have to field a position where they are more than likely going to get 8 points a game, if they’re lucky, while the people who drafted the 3 best at the position get players who put up numbers comparable to high picks at other positions.

If the 12th best WR in the league put up numbers like Devin Funchess (55th best WR) I’d be saying flex them as well.  But that’s how TE breaks down.  Take one of the top 3 and you get a player comparable to a low end WR1, take one that ranks 10-12 and you get a player comparable to a mid tier WR3, if you’re lucky.  That’s too much of a drop off to merit a mandatory position.

• Like 1

I understand that. My point is that you shouldn't just assume that production from last year will be the same this year and that it's still entirely possible that someone could end up with one of the best players at the position later in the draft. Or that there will be more than three that are good this year. 

Like I said, I don't really care, I'll adapt to whatever. I'm just pointing out that it's not impossible that things are different this year. 

I think the pool has only gotten more shallow and offenses aren’t really utilizing TEs in the passing game as much.  So while it’s possible this year will be better than last, I don’t think it’s going to shift that TE #12 = WR #55 that much.  In years past it was a strong 3 to 5 top guys and then the rest were servicable.  Now it’s a strong top 3, maybe 3 more serviceable beyond that and then guys who are putting up the production numbers of low end secondary receivers. 

I think the talent pool is there, TE is just one of the harder positions for younger players so it takes them a couple years to get their footing. I think we'll see more production from that group than most assume. 

Which one of you was ewbinbbfinbrbsbabs or whatever last year?  I think that’s the only person who I don’t have confirmed.

• Haha 1