MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

I think if the original sale to Cohen didn't fall through there was a lot of potential for him to go after Mookie his first off-season with the team. But LA can and will outspend anyone when there's a player they want. Considering they gave up pieces for Mookie I was all but certain he'd get Trout-esque money.

I was thinking about how back in the day Yankee fans would Photoshop Yankee caps onto the headshots of basically every good player in the league, since the Yankees were the only team going ham with their spending at the time.  Cohen could've feasibly formed a super team in Queens with Mookie, Bryant, and Lindor by 2022 and not bat an eye.

8 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

Blue Jays will be playing their home games in Pittsburgh. 

aaaaaand now just as MLB was preparing to make the official announcement, the state of Pennsylvania changed their mind last minute and yanked out the rug.  They are leery about having two major cities hosting East teams.  This plan would double the number of teams coming into Pittsburgh since they already have to host the Central.

With time running out on finding them a home for 2020, a plan to just have the Jays play every single game on the road (but getting to hit last for designated home games) is now on the table.

4 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I think the all road game plan is feasible. It's a messy situation all around though.

That mostly just sucks due to not being able to have a place to call home. Changing hotels that often would suck and would make it quite hard on team. I'd honestly prefer Buffalo.

While the season shouldn't be marked with an asterisk as it's not the players' fault they can only play a pandemic-shortened season....stuff like this is pretty much why it's best to not get too invested in the outcomes this year. 

Everyone knows I can be negative when it comes to sports (it's in my blood as a Mets fan), and I definitely roll my eyes with the whole "why are you mad, it's just a game!" shit.  But this year more than ever, it really rings true.  Weird stuff is gonna happen, teams are going to lose players out of the blue and there's a good chance the team that wins the World Series (if it gets that far) will just be the one that had the best luck.  Just sit back, root for your team and enjoy having something to watch while you can.

I don't think it was a test because he wasn't feeling well as much as a routine "we're testing everyone" test. It was probably a 36-hour turnaround between test and results, which is by most measures good. Just not something that works with Covid and baseball.

2 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

I had read that they are tested every two days, that he had tested negative Tuesday and positive today.  Still that means one of those tests could be wrong, he could've had it longer, he might not have it at all (he's asymptomatic), or he may have actually picked it up between tests as the results would suggest.  If he actually didn't get Tuesday's results until today, that's a huge problem and a big reason why the season might be done within a few weeks.

Anyway, while the season shouldn't be marked with an asterisk as it's not the players' fault they can only play a pandemic-shortened season....stuff like this is pretty much why it's best to not get too invested in the outcomes this year. 

Everyone knows I can be negative when it comes to sports (it's in my blood as a Mets fan), and I definitely roll my eyes with the whole "why are you mad, it's just a game!" shit.  But this year more than ever, it really rings true.  Weird stuff is gonna happen, teams are going to lose players out of the blue and there's a good chance the team that wins the World Series (if it gets that far) will just be the one that had the best luck.

The Sunday test came back negative on Tuesday. The Tuesday test came back positive today.

Yeesh.  Yeah if they're not getting same day results that's going to be a big problem.

I know that players are supposed to stay distanced in the clubhouses, dugouts, you have some teams setting up covered seating areas for reserve players in the stands so everyone can sit further apart...everyone supposed to be masked when they're not on the field, etc.  Those measures will help limit the spread as long as players are following the rules.  But people will still get it.

29 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Just the one game tonight right?

Two, Dodgers/Giants is the late game.

Enjoy them, cause they might shut this whole thing down quick.

lol Manfred is describing the expanded playoffs, no first round bye for anyone.  But division winners get their entire opening series at home.  Gotta love that home field advantage with zero crowds