MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

Universal DH is more jobs, which the union loves.

Pitchers hitting is the way it used to be, which is why old people love it. Get off his lawn.

• Like 1

I'm a traditionalist and like the late-game strategic decisions in the NL.  But I'm bummed about losing universal DH for this year because the Mets roster was pretty perfectly suited for it.  Now one of Cespedes/Conforto/JD Davis/Nimmo is gonna have to sit every day and one of those guys will only get one AB instead of three or four.

15 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

I'm a traditionalist and like the late-game strategic decisions in the NL.  But I'm bummed about losing universal DH for this year because the Mets roster was pretty perfectly suited for it.  Now one of Cespedes/Conforto/JD Davis/Nimmo is gonna have to sit every day and one of those guys will only get one AB instead of three or four.

Forgive me for missing something here but do you mind elaborating. Is there someone else the team would give the DH slot to instead of the guy who would have otherwise sit on the bench? 

EDIT: Nevermind. I mis-read your post.

1 minute ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Just because teams won’t need to use a simple ass double switch doesn’t mean there won’t be late game strategy, especially when you consider the 3-batter per pitcher rule. 

This is a good point. Changes to rules elsewhere are going to swing strategy in another direction.

Still waiting for some regulations on the shift that'll really affect how teams approach strategy.

I feel like there is a compromise in terms of the DH.

Have a DH for X innings.

That way you have an extra roster spot but you can still have the late game strategy (which I admit I enjoy).

1 minute ago, B-li Manning said:

Any talk of regulating or banning shifts gets a big groan from me.  God forbid we should expect big league hitters to make adjustments in their approach.

I'm largely on your side but it's triggered an approach where everyone is swinging for the fences on every at-bat. Obviously the analytics tell you that's a more rewarding approach than manufacturing runs but it's not as enjoyable to watch.

Just now, SeanDMan said:

I feel like there is a compromise in terms of the DH.

Have a DH for X innings.

That way you have an extra roster spot but you can still have the late game strategy (which I admit I enjoy).

I've always liked the idea that you get to assign a DH to each pitcher. So you have your starting DH and once that starter pitcher gets yanked you have to sub them out. Certain caveats for a disaster start where the pitcher doesn't make it 2 innings though. Other tweaks too (extra innings). But overall an idea that gives you some level of strategy.

• Like 1

Maybe make it so that as long as your starter is in, you have a DH. And then make it so if a DH bats that inning, your starter has to throw at least a pitch to open the next inning.

31 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

Baseball fans if their team doesn't win the 2020 World Series:  you call that a championship season?  fraudulent, needs an asterisk, nothing to be proud of
Baseball fans if their team wins the 2020 World Series:  WORLD FUCKIN' CHAMPIONS!!!!!

3 out of the last 4 getting asterisks then.

I've already explained my opinion of the DH before: its not used the way it was meant to be originally. The DH was added to the AL to extend careers, not provide them. And I prefer the NL strategy of whether or not to leave a pitcher in or lift them for a pinch hitter.

Hall of Fame rule I'd like to see:  If a DH is elected to the Hall, and never actually played a position (or didn't for most of their career),  then they're done as an added induction. A pitcher or position player shouldn't have to wait because someone who sits on his ass for most of the game gets to go in.