MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

45 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

Yeah, and I don’t understand it.  Imagine risking your life to watch independent baseball.  I’m actually shocked the league was able to run.

Based on what Athletic are doing, it's required to wear a mask unless you're eating or drinking.  And they do the best they can do distance.

14 minutes ago, El Tiburon said:

And the stadiums they play in are very tiny, so at best, there's only a few dozen people at a game? I just don't see the point. 

NB Stadium holds 6146 according to Wiki.  25% is about 1500.

Actually higher than Dillon, which is only allowing 1300

I like how the Mets have played their first two games in four months and have already managed to piss most of their fanbase off because despite the DH allowing them to have possibly the best lineup they’ve had in years, they’re still going to bat Cano 3rd.

I can’t think of a single sensible lineup combination they could roll out there this season that has him hitting higher than 7th, and on days when they actually have all nine of their projected regulars in there he’s probably the worst hitter of all of them.

And the double whammy is they’re hitting Alonso 2nd, so if Cano sucks then Pete’s not going to get anything good to hit basically ever.

Luis Rojas is purported to be an analytically inclined manager, and I can’t believe he actually thinks batting Cano 3rd makes sense.  It’s very likely a front office mandate as BVW desperately hopes to get something out of him since he knows his legacy will be defined by the Kelenic trade.

• Haha 1

It’s the most Met thing ever.  His signing actually got praised last year as despite his age he’d shown no signs of decline or injury, and the money was reasonable given his level of production (2 years, $20 million).

They he got hurt on the literal first day of spring training and his “knee discomfort” turned into a full season injury aside from a scant few hitless PH appearances in September.  And then he showed up to spring training this year with a gigantic brace and has shown no signs of improvement.  So he’ll end his Mets career with zero hits, zero games started, zero appearances in the field.

It’s either a degenerative knee issue, or he’s committed a flat out scam.

• Like 1

And Boycottmlb is trending because of

wait for it

players kneeling for the anthem

• Haha 1

If they are this upset about MLB. Just imagine, when they see the NBA messages upon restart

This season is gonna be a mess but hey... OPENING DAY IS TOMORROW! :D

3 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

Blue Jays will be playing their home games in Pittsburgh. 

Did they say what they're gonna do on the 7 days where they both play home games?

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Did they say what they're gonna do on the 7 days where they both play home games?

They have not, but I'd assume they would try to do a 1 PM start for one game and a 7 PM start for the next so as to allow both teams to finish the first game and be totally out of the stadium before the next teams come in.

• Like 1

Dodgers and Mookie Betts are nearing a contract extension that would make him the second highest paid player in the history of baseball behind Mike Trout.

I mean, when the trade happened there was no real doubt in my mind Mookie would be a Dodger long-term.  While I thought he might hold out until the offseason anyway to force the Dodgers' hand, they always were going to be the team best positioned to sign him to the money he'd want.

That said, knowing Steve Cohen is still viewed as the favorites to buy the Mets, I can't lie that I dreamed of him going after Mookie as his first big piece.