The 2020 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

What is everyone AOTY so far? I am stuck between Future Nostalgia and Fetch the Bolt Cutters. Leaning towards Dua at the moment. 

lol the only 2020 album I've listened to this year is the Strokes, and it's fine...I guess. Both the Dua Lipa and Fiona Apple ones are on my list, I'll get around to them at some point. I'm still trying to catch a whole load of albums I missed from 2019 right now. So ask me this question again in  year 😕

Edited by metalman

New Creeper album delayed until July :(

I've been listening to a load of 2020 stuff to try and expedite my catch-up, surprised by how much I enjoyed the Five Finger Death Punch album, thoroughly bored by Tame Impala, and Enter Shikari's was good, but probably not one I'm rushing back to.

On 04/05/2020 at 21:24, RPS said:

What is everyone AOTY so far? I am stuck between Future Nostalgia and Fetch the Bolt Cutters. Leaning towards Dua at the moment. 

Is there something I'm missing with Fetch the Bolt Cutters? I listened to it and it just gave me a headache, could barely get through it, yet all I see is glowing praise.

Probably new King Krule or Soccer Mommy. Lots of good stuff this year, but only a few I've really had on repeat and keep going back to. 

Reflections by Hannah Diamond, which came out at the back end of last year, is definitely the thing I've been most obsessed with this year. 

https://sacredbonesrecords.bandcamp.com/album/what-is-this-that-stands-before-me

I really fuckin dig Thou's cover of Supernaut. Actually this whole album is killer, it's a Sabbath tribute album and yeah, I know there's about a thousand of those floating around, but I never get tired of them. Marissa Nadler's haunting cover of "Solitude" is great as well. And so is Hilary Woods' cover of NIB.

16 hours ago, Regia said:

Is there something I'm missing with Fetch the Bolt Cutters? I listened to it and it just gave me a headache, could barely get through it, yet all I see is glowing praise.

The lyrics and passion in Fiona's voice. The unique wordplay on certain songs. The use of weird percussive sounds matched with interesting pop arrangements with conventional instruments. That each song has a unique composure that really matches the tone of each song. For example, Shameika has this undercurrent of anxiety and tension running throughout the lyrical theme and the composure of the song is so suffocating and unexpected. Weird sounds pop in and out of nowhere, overwhelming your ears in the same way that Fiona's head is probably filled with the anxiety and stress of dealing with her bullies. I found each song had this element to it. Under the Table begins with Fiona barely whisper/singing "I beg to disagree, but begging disagrees with me". The song is her passive aggressively arguing with her partner, the composure of the song slowly building in anger and frustration, the instruments becoming louder and louder until it climaxes in her angrily singing the hook at the beginning of the song. The sound through the lyrics and composure slowly build you up to a point where you feel her anger and frustration. You know that hook from the beginning and now through amping the tension of the song, she unleashes it in anger. Each song does the same thing. 

Or maybe, some people like different types of music? 

• Like 1

Matt Pike and Brent Hinds are working on music together :w00t:

“Well, it was supposed to ramp up here and it’s going a little slow now [due to] quarantine. ‘Cause I planned on going back there [to Brent‘s] after this next Sleep tour or something and hanging out and sitting down.
‘Cause we got some stuff done, but it wasn’t a major lot. But there’s definitely all these… there’s like two hours worth of ideas, it’s just putting them all together, you know? And feeling each other out and having different… We kind of want to make it like so we can have different people, like different bass players, different drummers, different singers, different people playing tambourine, whatever [laughs]. Like some sax guys… ‘oh, what’s that dude doing over there, he’s choking a goose!’” [imitates sax] [laughs]

Pike's wife Alyssa Maucere will be involved too!

On 11/05/2020 at 10:05, Jericode said:

Hayley Williams' new solo album Petals for Armor is better than I expected, very easy listen.

This. I knew I was probably going to be into it the moment I heard Simmer earlier in the year, but yeah - this probably works as my AOTY so far as well. We'll see how quick that changes when Notes on a Conditional Form from The 1975 comes out next week though.

2 hours ago, apsham said:

This. I knew I was probably going to be into it the moment I heard Simmer earlier in the year, but yeah - this probably works as my AOTY so far as well. We'll see how quick that changes when Notes on a Conditional Form from The 1975 comes out next week though.

Totally forgot that was out next week, looking forward to that one.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:31 AM, RPS said:

Perfume Genius new album is his most serene yet. Seems to be his album where he is in the best head space. 

Whole Life made me cry.