The 2021 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

"Montero" came out in full today. Aside from the songs we've heard it's also got features by Elton John, Miley Cyrus, and Doja Cat. 

Lil Nas X and CashApp are also teaming up to give away $500k.... in Bitcoin, if you quote his tweet and drop your cashapp username and 3 favorite songs from the album. 

21 hours ago, CLDY said:

"Montero" came out in full today. Aside from the songs we've heard it's also got features by Elton John, Miley Cyrus, and Doja Cat. 

Lil Nas X and CashApp are also teaming up to give away $500k.... in Bitcoin, if you quote his tweet and drop your cashapp username and 3 favorite songs from the album. 

It's a really good album. Ever since 808 and Heartbreak, a lot of hip hop has been focused on vulnerablility and introspection. But Lil Nas X is not interested in exploring heartbreak and blue balls. He's interested in themes of being rejected for his sexuality, the perils of promiscuity and being a POC in the queer community. It's interesting. 

Sonically it reminds me of early 00s hip hop like Kid Cudi and Kanye West albums... A scattershot of genres. Lil Nas X wants to touch upon multiple different genres and hit that crossover sound. It's great. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite music stories from the back half of 2021 is MGK trying to start shit with Corey Taylor, and then Corey Taylor immediately coming back with receipts. MGK recently dissed Slipknot on-stage at Riot Fest, and then later tweeted about the "stories being off" and claimed that Corey Taylor is "bitter about being cut from the album because his song was terrible", and then Taylor posted screenshots of emails with Travis Barker (MGK's producer) that prove that he was the one who said no to them

And in the same email thread, MGK's notes passed along to Travis Barker (and then to Corey Taylor) talk about how he's "stoked and honored" to have him on the album, and that he totally killed it on what he sent them. :lol: 

On 18/08/2021 at 13:45, RPS said:

Olivia Rodrigo's SOUR is a fine album, but I am way more interested in what she is recording in 5 years. I hope the music business does not tear her apart. 

I actually think this album is maybe low-key the best pop album of the year. The song writing on the album is outstanding. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baddar said:

I really love Screen Violence, the new album from Chvrches.

Suppose I have @METALMAN to thank for inadvertently getting me into them years ago.

This is so random, but I like their cover of I'm With You by Avril Lavigne.

On 25/09/2021 at 09:19, Jerandon Cutler said:

Tickets to My Downfall is a great album, everything else about him is dreadful.

I really didn't think it was anything special, especially by pop punk standards. I think it was decent attempt at switching genres and nothing more. 

Forget about MGK, there's new Ghost out! Love that track.

New Boston Manor track is really good, hoping they announce a new album soon. Glue was great and they're building on it really well.

Actually forget EVERYTHING, there's new Limp Bizkit out!

Pleasantly surprised by Ramin Djawadi having an album out this week. His Game of Thrones work is fantastic but seeing him live was an incredible experience. Willing to listen to him at any time. 

On 30/09/2021 at 13:43, RPS said:

My brother LOVES Ghost. I actually do enjoy them. 

First listen: eh it's cool

Tenth listen: THOUGH MY MEMORIES ARE FADED THEY COME BACK TO HAUNT ME ONCE AGAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!

----

My cousin is a huge Ghost fan, has seen them live like four times now, and his reaction to this single was "I don't like it :/". I love it. I think it's a great blend of the heaviness of an album like Meliora and the more pop sensibilities of Prequelle, and if it's any indication of what next year's (fingers crossed) album sounds like I'm going to have a good time with it.