The 2021 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah I think that'll be a good gig to book in for the end of 2021, feel like November could be mad for gigs. 

I'm annoyed the closest gig to me is Portsmouth but at the same time it's probably £30-40 I can save and stick towards something else. Fully expect them to do another tour in the new year and hopefully at least do Bristol if not Cardiff.

9 hours ago, Bad News Jericode said:

I'm annoyed the closest gig to me is Portsmouth but at the same time it's probably £30-40 I can save and stick towards something else. Fully expect them to do another tour in the new year and hopefully at least do Bristol if not Cardiff.

come london you coward

Jeff Rosenstock's SKA DREAM is really great. He made a ska version of his album from last year. Super fun. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malenko said:

Love pretty much everything he's done, all his bands and his solo work.

I was thinking of diving into some of his other bands. Any suggestions where to start? 

39 minutes ago, RPS said:

I was thinking of diving into some of his other bands. Any suggestions where to start? 

Arrogant sons of bitches were part of the third wave movement. I wouldn't say they're so special unless you like those bands. I do, but obviously not everyone does.

Bomb the Music Industry are really cool. I think they're worth a try.

Kudrow didn't release many albums but they're alright. Punky indie rock. Think a noisier superchunk.

Antarctigo Vespucci is something he does with Chris Farren (fake problems) and someone else I don't remember. It's power pop. Nothing groundbreaking but not everything needs to be.

6 minutes ago, Bad News Jericode said:

I couldn't tell you a Maroon 5 song that came out since V, but Overexposed was a good album.

Most of Overexposed was fine, any maybe it's just Beautiful Mistake, but wow I just cannot stand Adam Levine anymore

42 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Does anyone else rapidly change the radio station when Maroon 5 comes on?

I honestly had forgotten they even existed. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/03/2021 at 03:48, tristy said:

Fuck. Mars Volta are releasing a $500 vinyl boxset of all their albums and the Tremulant EP, plus a vinyl with two unreleased versions of Eunuch Provocateur and A Plauge Upon Your Hissing Children - and a demo version of the De-Loused album.

I can't justify that purchase, but I'm going to try like hell to find someone selling that De-Loused demo album. One of my favorite albums of all time, I need it. I already have the original on vinyl, and the singles from the album, so this would be a nice addition if anyone happens to put it on eBay this year or whenever.

Oh wow. The demo version of Deloused in the Comatorium is fantastic. For those looking on streaming, it is Landscape Tantrums. It is vastly different than the versions of Deloused. If Deloused was prog rock, Landscape Tantrums is the punk rock version of the songs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bad News Jericode said:

Muse are releasing a remix album of Origin of Symmetry for the album's 20th anniversary.

I've heard the Citizen Erased remix - it sounds great. I'm used to the muddy mix of the original album, but it's nice to hear a version where you can make out the individual instruments.

On 19/05/2021 at 16:44, RPS said:

Oh wow. The demo version of Deloused in the Comatorium is fantastic. For those looking on streaming, it is Landscape Tantrums. It is vastly different than the versions of Deloused. If Deloused was prog rock, Landscape Tantrums is the punk rock version of the songs. 

the version of Televators is absolutely gorgeous, it's one of my favourite releases this year - and I've actually been tracking new releases for the first time in forever.

Mdou Moctar's new album was released today, and there's a couple of brilliant tracks on there. Between him and Tinariwen, I think modern Tuareg music might be some of the genuinely coolest music in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Mdou Moctar's new album was released today, and there's a couple of brilliant tracks on there. Between him and Tinariwen, I think modern Tuareg music might be some of the genuinely coolest music in the world. 

What is Tuareg music? Don't think I have heard of it before. 

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

What is Tuareg music? Don't think I have heard of it before. 

Tuareg people are a traditionally nomadic people of the Sahara, and their traditional music is really fascinating. But where it gets exciting is bands like Tinariwen, who play what they call "Desert Blues" - basically adapting their music for electric guitar, and blending with a rock/blues tradition. 

Tinariwen are the most well known of the genre, and rightly so, as they're fantastic - they've collaborated with Warren Ellis from The Bad Seeds/Dirty Three, Stephen O'Malley from SunnO))), Micah Nelson, Mark Lanegan, Kurt Vile....lots of cool people. A lot of their stuff is really heavy, but in totally different ways to what we'd normally consider "heavy" in rock and metal genres, if that makes sense.

Mdou Moctar I know less about, but he's at the groovy psychedelic end of the genre. This is the title track from his new album, just superb stuff;

It's just fundamentally cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

the version of Televators is absolutely gorgeous, it's one of my favourite releases this year - and I've actually been tracking new releases for the first time in forever.

Oooooh! Thanks for the heads up; really enjoyed his previous one. 

• Like 1