2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

I was just thinking about the "if every team makes the playoffs no one will spend" argument and that feels like the one the union will relent on as it gets closer. NBA and NHL franchises both make ridiculous decisions in terms of spending just to have a shot at the 8-seed. There will always be a handful of teams that try and tank but right now in baseball about 1/3 to 1/2 are actively not trying to be good. Expanded playoffs definitely trims that down to 6 or 7 teams at very most. Which is basically the peak of where NBA teams not even pretending to care are in any given season and probably more than there are in the NHL where margins are so thin a bad team can easily make the playoffs.

soooo I'm checking my emails and I get one from MLB.com Insider, and it turns out I guess the MLB has its own NFT marketplace.

sigh.

not at all surprised (wow rich people want to jump on whatever's trendy to make more money?!), but still. sigh. 

Ortiz tested positive for something in 2003, but it was never revealed exactly what that was. He apologized, but on the other hand he also did try to explain it away.

Bonds had connections to BALCO, aka Roids Inc., but continued to deny using anything when it was obvious he was despite never testing positive for anything.

Clemens, however, is the most obvious. He tested positive and continued to vehemently deny it, even after the person injecting him confessed. 

Clemens was at one time my favorite pitcher, but I don't believe he should be inducted. 

I hate Barry Bonds, and believe his entire career post-Pirates is questionable. But I could make a case either way for inclusion or exclusion.

Me, personally, I don't believe Bonds, Clemens or A-Rod should ever be inducted.

Then again, the Hall is a joke until Shoeless Joe's ban is overturned and he is inducted. 

Edited by GhostMachine

I support Ortiz going in but I also support nearly all the PED guys going in, with maybe Manny and A-Rod being the only ones that would give me pause because they tested positive at a time it was very clearly against the rules.

But yeah, the writers here exposed what is really important to them.  Ortiz has always been affable with the writers and media whereas Clemens, Bonds etc were contentious.  And so it goes.

• Like 3

Asshole or not, Bonds deserves to be in the hall of fame. Unfortunately, sports writers just want to keep their boyhood, baseball card in the bicycle spokes image of the game untarnished, while overlooking the noted personality deficiencies of some of the players that have been enshrined since 1936. 

• Like 4

Meanwhile, MLB and MLBPA negotiated for two days in a row and reportedly made good progress with both sides agreeing to some early concessions.  Still a ways to go but there's a lot more optimism today than Sunday that they'll get it done and avoid losing any games.

But once Bob Nightengale tweets about the season starting on time, the season is over.

Looking at the first-time HOF eligibles for next year, the only guy who has the numbers that warrant enshrinement is Carlos Beltran who will almost certainly not be going in due to his involvement in the sign stealing scandal.  I'd be surprised if he was universally rejected enough to get under 5% and fall off the ballot but he'll likely just kick around on the ballot for a decade and never get in.  Rolen, Helton, and Wagner all made positive gains this year and are at least trending in the right direction - Rolen at 63%, a near 10% jump from the previous year.  He's at least within striking distance for next year.

But the real story of the 2023 Hall of Fame will, ironically, be all the same guys who just fell off the ballot.  The "Today's Game Era" committee which elects players from 1988-present has their next meeting in December.  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, and Sosa will all likely be up for induction again but this time it would only take 12 of 16 votes, and the committee members change every time so it's really a crapshoot depending on who is voting.  One loud voice in the room can sway people one way or the other.  Tony La Russa pretty much single handedly convinced 11 other people to vote for Harold Baines.  Also 15 of 16 members voted in Selig, who helped profit from PEDs.

IF any of these guys make it in via the committee immediately after the BBWAA rejected them for 10 years, I guarantee you'll hear a bunch of writers moan and threaten to quit voting, feeling like the process is now pointless.

There were totally baseless Mets rumors kicking around too, which anyone should've been able to debunk quickly because they already had a 41-year old Moises Alou on the roster.  Bonds and Alou manning the corner outfield in their 40s, what could've gone wrong?  Beltran's knees probably would've exploded from having to cover that much ground.