European Super League announced; collapses

Lineker

Porto appear to have rejected an invite as well:

• Like 1

ESL to fans:

• Like 1

It's all one big mess.

The PL could kick the 6 teams out, and the league won't generate anywhere near as much money.

Keep them in, and it's still devalued because even if the breakaway 6 managed to finish top 6, they won't be able to play CL, so you'll have teams who finish 9th or 10th getting spanked by PSG instead.

Also, the situation where Utd v Liverpool could be in the Premier League on the Saturday, but they meet in the Super League the following Wednesday, so neither will be arsed to field a strong team in the league because it doesn't matter to them any more.

• Admin

I just don't understand us, Arsenal or AC Milan being in there. What the hell have any of us done in the last decade (or longer) to warrant a place?

The best description I've seen of it so far, is it's like Bananaman being called up to be one of the Avengers.

You know it's bad when the Tories are slamming this as "the elite being greedy".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Baddar said:

The PL could kick the 6 teams out, and the league won't generate anywhere near as much money.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. You don't really need money to make the sport fun and competitive. If anything, it makes it less fun and competitive. English football had nowhere near as much money in the 50s and 60s but in the seven years from 1958-1965 there were seven different league winners. I'd rather follow that competition, even if half the players were overweight alcoholics and they all played with big heavy boots.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

I've seen similar from Lovren and a few others, but Patrick van Aanholt seems to be the closest any current PL player has come to speaking out.

I do wonder where the appeal is for the players. A payrise at some clubs (but we're at the point now of how much more rich can a Man City player be), coupled with far more travel and disruption to family life, plus presumably an extremely high standard of game every week (apart from when playing Arsenal or Spurs).

Actually just on another note, I'm assuming that the hope of no relegation is that it results in less cagey games, as top 4 games (and Clasicos etc) often end up as slightly naff low scoring draws. Isn't part of the PL package the fact that City might put 6 past someone? That'll end quickly.

• Haha 1

The "legacy fans" and "fans of the future" thing makes me think about how how there is seemingly a shift in supporting club vs supporting players in certain demographics.  It's all part of the same general idea that erodes the local and cultural aspects infavor of the brand.

It also sounds super like some marketing firm nonsense. Which it probably is.

• Like 4

That demographic is "people who don't go to football games" which is how ridiculous the situation is. As usual it's Germany who have their act in gear.

I'm very much on metalman's POV though, Wimbledon have already proved that football clubs are more than just companies. If the PL "collapses" without these 6 teams there will still be a Newcastle United, and they'll play in a league without 6 clubs with (for at least the short term) an absurdly unfair financial advantage. There's still a domestic demand for that even if the overseas revenues diminish.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Colly said:

That demographic is "people who don't go to football games" which is how ridiculous the situation is. As usual it's Germany who have their act in gear.

I'm very much on metalman's POV though, Wimbledon have already proved that football clubs are more than just companies. If the PL "collapses" without these 6 teams there will still be a Newcastle United, and they'll play in a league without 6 clubs with (for at least the short term) an absurdly unfair financial advantage. There's still a domestic demand for that even if the overseas revenues diminish.

Just wait until the Saudi's have their hands all over Newcastle 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Colly said:

Honestly I'm hoping all this shit kills that off for good.

This was my first thought.

Why would MBS pay for a club not in the ESL if that is a thing? Fingers crossed Saudi fucks off now.

• Like 3