What Did You Watch Today? 2021

Baddar

• 2 weeks later...

Stuntman on Disney+ is a nice little documentary. Hour and a half long, about a stuntman named Eddie Braun who wants to do what his hero - Evel Knievel - couldn't, and jump the Snake River Canyon in Idaho. Co-produced by Dwayne Johnson & Dany Garcia's Seven Bucks Production company too, with a little minute or speech at the beginning from Dwayne doing the necessary "don't try this at home" stuff, thanking the stunt industry, etc

For some reason I felt like starting Star Trek: the Next Generation after never having watched any Star Trek.

I could almost feel my brain re-wiring in the middle of (90 minute!) first episode because of how slow it was. It was like watching a glacier move in real time and my attention span had never been tested like that. And hey, it turned out alright. Q seems neat.

The following episode? With this scene? Painful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal and Greed on Netflix.  Really good

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

Malignant is DUMB. DUMB.

Yeahhhhhh, the premise isn't terrible necessarily but the description of the movie did not match what it actually was and the execution and writing was really not that great. 

Spoiler

It could be a really cool like comic franchise origin story or something though

London Film Festival press screenings have kicked off, so I'm watch a whole lot at the moment. I'm going to see Titane today at 9:30am and I am still so excited. Took a day out to catch some new releases.

The Many Saint of Newark turned out to be exactly what I feared it'd be, which was an absolutely okay film that I didn't need. It's got some great performances, and it's nostalgic to spend time in that rich world, but it's inescapable to hold the film to higher standards considering the strength of The Sopranos. 

And I'm baffled, but I didn't love Green Knight. I love David Lowry films because they feel magical, so I'm a bit confused as to how his most obviously magical didn't feel it to me. Performances are also incredible and it looks phenomenal, but it feels weird to be coming out of a Lowry film talking about how it looks and not how it made me feel. It missed the mark for me and I'm still trying to figure out why. 

19 hours ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

Malignant is DUMB. DUMB.

I watched the RedLetterMedia review of it, and they kept saying they weren't sure if it was a serious movie, or a parody movie

• Haha 1

I had Nostalgia for the Leprechaun films as they were some of the first horror movies I watched as a kid with friends as we tried to stay up all night. Walmart had the complete Blu-ray set for u see 10 bucks so I started watching through them. I’ve finished parts 1, 2 and 3 so far. Man, it’s crazy what passes as good when you’re a kid 😅 Hats off to Warwick Davis though, he makes these films way more fun than they have any right to be. The lawnmower kill in leprechaun 2 is still one of my favorite kills in horror.

Mixed feelings on The Babadook, but over all I enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

The Babadook wasn’t actually a physical monster/demon, right? More of a metaphor for the mother’s crippling depression and unresolved grief from her husband’s violent death?  The boy had an infatuation with monsters, which allowed her to manifest all of that into a monster. The end scene where she “feeds it” is just a metaphor for the fact that those things mentally never go away but you instead learn to live with them without truly “letting them in” enough to derail every day life. At least that’s what I drew from it.

11 hours ago, iDOL Nakazawa said:

Mixed feelings on The Babadook, but over all I enjoyed it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yes, but I think it’s also meant to be literal in the world of the movie. But the bigger point is what you described.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1