What Did You Watch Today? 2021

Baddar

6 hours ago, RPS said:

What did you think of the ending? 

A little bit of a cop out, but can see why they went for it. 

3 hours ago, LL. said:

I just watched the new Amazon Original starting Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek called Bliss and... Look just forget it exists. Trust me. 

Its that bad?

On 12/02/2021 at 21:51, Benjamin said:

Might be a controversial opinion, but my favorite Bogart film is Sabrina :shifty: William Holden and Humphrey Bogart being dumbasses over a pretty girl is better than anything he's been involved in (though Angels with Dirty Faces is a close second because that movie is gorgeous for its time).

I miss being able to watch old movies :( 

Sabrina is my third favorite William Holden movie, after Stalag 17 and Network. Probably around 7th as far as Bogart is concerned, though.

And Angels With Dirty Faces is a must-see classic. One of my favorite James Cagney performances as a bad guy, along with White Heat and The Public Enemy. (Yes, the one with the infamous grapefruit scene) But most of my favorite Cagney movies are either bio-pics or comedies!

*edited to add* Haven't watched yet, but I picked up THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT yesterday. Also picked up the original THE STAND tv mini-series from 1994.

Edited by GhostMachine

4 minutes ago, GA! said:

Bliss is so fucking bland, like The Matrix but for Daily Telegraph readers who enjoy crime dramas set in the Algarve. Why did you recommend this @LL.?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS.

The only bliss I felt for that movie was when it was finally over. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Little Things was alright. Nothing is really outright bad but the story isn't very memorable and the pieces don't quite stick together. Denzel is fine but I think Malek might have been miscast a bit. Jared Leto will always at least go for it. Whether it works or not varies wildly but whatever he does, it's certainly not boring. 

• 2 weeks later...

James Acaster released a new special on Friday that you have to purchase via his website/Vimeo. There’s also a bonus special if you opt for it. It is very well worth it.

We watched the main special - “Cold Lasange Hate Myself 1999” - last night and ADORED it. It’s just over two whole hours of very personal stuff, mixed with a bit of general weird observation. We’re watching the bonus special tonight and I can’t wait.

• Like 1

I think it was around $5. Some weirdly precise amount, since the price is clearly set in pounds.

Also, having watched it now, it’s not exactly a new special. (“Make a New Tomorrow” that is.) It’s clearly filmed on the same stage set as Cold Lasagne, but he’s in a different outfit. Maybe material that just didn’t make the main special? Either way, it was fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've mentioned here that my I'm part of a weekly online film club with my girlfriend and a few other people. We've, at this point, watched 45 films in the last year.

This week we watched the 1981 German film Christiane F.

It's a film about teenage heroin addicts in Berlin in the 70s. Is it a good film? Yes. Would I ever want to watch it again? Hard no.  It's a brutal watch. Not a single punch is pulled.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching Mr. Robot and even though I knew this was the ending that had to happen, I still kind of felt cheated. The rest of the show was really good though so I guess I won't fault them for an inevitable ending but damn :(