England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

14 minutes ago, MDK said:

Something else to think about is that he is currently the only England player that has spent time playing in a foreign country. That might be able to help the younger players not used to being away for so long. Marginal gains and all that.

Eric Dier?

I think it's partly symbolic. Previous managers have been accussed of picking players on reputation rather than form. Taking Hart to a World Cup after two atrocious seasons would leave Southgate open to this criticism and it also sends a message to the players that you won't be allowed to coast on past glories.

• Like 2

Flip side is, taking him could breed negativity, maybe he's not in a good headspace, I wouldn't be with such a fall from grace. He might not actually be GOOD for the camp because he USED to be the man and USED to be the first choice and USED to be 'good' but he's a very young hasbeen.

I'd rather take someone who values the experience is probably upbeat about being part of the team and can save a football

Wasn't Heaton skipper? I'd be surprised if he wasn't back in as #1 in August. It's not as though he was playing badly before the injury either.

Don't get me wrong, Pope has been in great form but personally, I'd put Heaton back in.

Sounds like Wilshere hasn't made it either. Delph included, which is bizarre to me as he's playing left back for the majority of the season and I can't see him being used there or even in central midfield.

Wilshere not going is baffling to me, he's more or less proved his fitness over the past two seasons. He's England's most technical midfield player, and we don't have anybody else in that mould at all. Nobody that can create that half yard of space to turn and then get out of danger before distributing the ball. Central midfield is going to be really key and without that sort of player, it's dangerous. 

10 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Burnley have one of the best goalkeeping line-ups in the league. Could easily rotate or play one in the league and one in the cups/europe.

Edit: outside of De Gea/Romero and Courtois/Willy, do any other teams have a better two choices?

Karius/Mignolet/Ward/Bogdan... 

:shifty:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MJB said:

Wasn't Heaton skipper? I'd be surprised if he wasn't back in as #1 in August. It's not as though he was playing badly before the injury either.

Don't get me wrong, Pope has been in great form but personally, I'd put Heaton back in.

Heston's been fit a month or two though and Pope kept his place, Burnley would be smart to cash in on Heaton whilst they can.

18 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Heston's been fit a month or two though and Pope kept his place, Burnley would be smart to cash in on Heaton whilst they can.

I understand he's been on the bench, and I wouldn't have restored Heaton straight away after injury during the middle of the season when Pope was in very good form. 

However, once Heaton has had a full pre-season, I'd be really surprised not to see him start the next season as first choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJB said:

I understand he's been on the bench, and I wouldn't have restored Heaton straight away after injury during the middle of the season when Pope was in very good form. 

However, once Heaton has had a full pre-season, I'd be really surprised not to see him start the next season as first choice.

Then they'd have to sell Pope, because he isn't going to go back to sitting on a bench now he's proved himself capable of being a Premier League goalkeeper. And they'll get more money for Heaton, and they'll have to pay Pope less in wages. It seems clear to me Heaton should be the one to move on.

@MDK my phone auto-correct betrays me all the time. It even just auto-corrected "auto-correct" to "auto-corrected", I'm not joking. Then it changed that to "auto-generated"!

Head. Wall.