General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

Can someone tell me, without spoiling anything, whether or not you can somehow keep playing The Last of Us Part II after the game ends?

I think I'm at the point where you just play as Abby from now on (which is really weird - there's no warning that it isn't just a little mini-story like all the others before, so I just BLEW through all of it, not bothering to explore), so I'm a few chapters away from the end. But there's a chest at the beginning of the fuckin' game that I missed, in the grocery store during the blizzard, and I kinda need that for the trophy. But yeah this game is amazing, I've blasted through it in two days. I wish the game was strictly you controlling Ellie though, I don't really care about Abby at all. I don't hate her or anything, but I'm more invested in Ellie's revenge story.

2 minutes ago, Baddar said:

But I think any missed collectibles can be picked up on another one in New Game+.

Yeah, being very careful in my research online, this seems to be the case. It's the only way to get all the skill upgrades for Ellie and Abby, you can pick up missing collectibles, etc. I'm reading that chapter select is wonky, as in if you select a chapter you can't access another chapter after it (that's weird). This might be the second game I ever do a NG+ for (Spider-Man PS4 being the other one - still have to buy the remaster and complete that).

I really don't understand the hate/backlash for TLoU2, though. Seems like it was just incels and trolls being mad about a lesbian badass killing dudes and Abby being more swole than all of these commenters online.

OH - I'm shocked to learn that Troy Baker was Joel. That's fucking voice acting right there, goddamn.

• Like 1

Oh shit. That is fantastic news. I might do a NG+ sooner rather than later, then. I wonder how that's done, though. The map of Seattle was never detailed enough to even see what's where - maybe it shows stuff on the second go-around or something. Overall, the UI - like the map and stuff - is kinda bare bones and might be my only criticism of the game. I can't count how many times I've gotten lost trying to get somewhere, but maybe that's the point.

Edited by tristy

3 hours ago, tristy said:

I really don't understand the hate/backlash for TLoU2, though. Seems like it was just incels and trolls being mad about a lesbian badass killing dudes and Abby being more swole than all of these commenters online.

I think there are some issues narratively with the game. But those same critiques apply to the first game as well. I watched my hubby play TLOU1 and I was not at all enamored with the game and thought it was problematic. It is a beautiful and at times interesting game wrapped in a narrative that seems unnecessarily violent and, in my opinion, ambiguous on what it wants to say about revenge. 

• Like 1

Went back to Days Gone to try to get that finished over the next few weeks now that I'm done with TLOU2.

It has its issues, but I find the button configuration and combat better than TLOU2 by miles.

Can't match the graphics, facial animations, voice acting or overall story but I think the gameplay itself is better.

2 hours ago, RPS said:

I think there are some issues narratively with the game. But those same critiques apply to the first game as well. I watched my hubby play TLOU1 and I was not at all enamored with the game and thought it was problematic. It is a beautiful and at times interesting game wrapped in a narrative that seems unnecessarily violent and, in my opinion, ambiguous on what it wants to say about revenge. 

I share some of these thoughts. I think both games are fun and do a lot of things well, but I also don't think the narrative was quite as masterful as some critics do. It wasn't very subtle, anyway.

But obviously, people hating it because they're anti-woke edgelords is ridiculous, as is said people harassing the voice actors. I feel as though nuanced discussion on the game has been drowned out by the extreme opinions at either end of the scale.

15 hours ago, LUKIE said:

Crying Suns is free on Epic. Fantastic game.

Talking of Epic, next week Star Wars Battlefront 2 is free

15 hours ago, Baddar said:

Made a start on Maneater last night. Fun game to spend the odd hour or two on.

I played about 20 mins. Was one of them. Glad I didn't pay for it and would get some fun on it but could easily play it once then never again at the same time. 

• Like 2

You know what this means.

Climing towers.... IN SPACE.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It looks as though EA's exclusive rights to publish Star Wars games is coming to an end. Lucasfilm has revealed its own games division and that it will be working with Ubisoft to make a game over the next few years.

Yeah supposedly it's an open world game using the same engine that The Division does.

And in other news - Hogwarts Legacy is delayed to 2022.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It looks as though EA's exclusive rights to publish Star Wars games is coming to an end. Lucasfilm has revealed its own games division and that it will be working with Ubisoft to make a game over the next few years.

The Force Unleashed III, goddamnit.