General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

27 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

image.png

I don't understand stocks.... but something weird is going on with Gamestop. From $19 to $147 in a month. This was a company that was on deaths door. I don't follow any stockmarket stuff, but this is coming up on my facebook and twitter feeds.

... are trolls somehow inflating the price of this? Is this possible?

/R/wallstreetbets found out that there was a lot of shorting going on with the GameStop stocks since gs started circling the drain.

So they literally decided to band together and mass buy up stocks. Causing the stock to spike, shorts to fail and cost a lot of rich stock market gamblers to lose out on money.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-25/how-wallstreetbets-pushed-gamestop-shares-to-the-moon

The tldr for what shorting exactly means... 

Basically gambling on stocks dropping in value, as opposed to investing in stocks in the hope the value rises.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruki Returns said:

So, a bunch of trolls are sticking it to rich shit heads? I love it! And does GameStop benefit from this at all?

Well wallstreetbets are idiots too, and this is the first productive and somewhat decent thing they did.

GameStop benefits because wsb invested their money into the company, and the higher stock prices might help them be more solvent in the short term.

But it'll probably last as long as wsb and other investors stay invested (heh) in propping up GameStop. Once they start selling the stock, the prices will drop once more and so will GameStop's liquidity.

It's definitely a very good case study in how messed up the market is, and how modern systems can prop up a hollow carcass through gaming the system.

All wsb did was basically handcrank the stocks, and once it started rising the bots took over in buying up all the stocks causing the value to spike hard as computers tried to buy into the spike to sell it at the peak.

• Like 1

Fucking hell, if I knew this was going to happen I would have made a killing.

If I put the 100 in savings I've been doing that would have been $600 if I had sold it today

FML

We could have gotten Ice T as Roland

8 hours ago, MadJack said:

The Gamestop stuff (and their other targets - Blackberry etc etc) will be very funny right up until the moment the SEC goes "this is market manipulation and that's illegal" and then it will cease to be funny very very quickly.

I think the case of it being market manipulation is a tricky one, because manipulation in the simplest terms would entail using lies and deceit to achieve a change in stock prices.

I.e. if a rumour was brought into the world that Mercedes would buy BMW, it would artificially inflate Mercedes stocks ahead of the impending takeover that doesn't exist.
Or on the flipside, making rumours that a company is about to have a super negative quarter, causing a mass-selloff and then another swoops in to grab the cheap stocks before the rebound.

There's nothing inherently illegal about what WSB is doing in this case. They're simply a mob buying up stocks, that's all they're doing, they're not making lies about GameStop to manipulate the price of the stocks, just them buying up stocks and making it a hot commodity has caused the stock to rise.

It's mostly a very strong example as to show how shaky and broken Wall Street and the stock market in general is, because the moment GSE stocks started rising, the computers took over and started to perpetuate the rise by following the bubble.

I think the SEC will definitely investigate matters, but I don't see market manip being on the cards in this case. But if it starts spreading tendrils to other small time stocks being shorted on the regular with the express idea of doing pump and dumps, they'll definitely start cracking down on it

---

@YuKing CornEllis - TL;DR is that /r/wallstreetbets realized a lot of Wall Street bigwigs were shorting (betting on a stock drop) on GameStop stocks, so they decided to collectively start buying stocks in GameStop to cause the stock to rise drastically. (Meaning that a lot of Wall Street bigwigs lost a lot of cash.)

An indirect result is that a bunch of people on WSB made a shitload of cash on this scheme too.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Of course the SEC will shut this down. Only billionaires are allowed to manipulate the stock market, y'know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Playing the Outer Worlds and while the gameplay is kinda meh for me, I love how the setting is corporate dystopia IN SPACE but with like zero subtlety at all and just dunking on capitalism. It's a very fresh take on the theme.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 08:02, OctoberRaven said:

Playing the Outer Worlds and while the gameplay is kinda meh for me, I love how the setting is corporate dystopia IN SPACE but with like zero subtlety at all and just dunking on capitalism. It's a very fresh take on the theme.

I love the game, but my complaint is that it's way too short. I haven't played the DLC yet, though. But yeah it's extremely anti-capitalist, and it's basically just New Vegas/Fallout 3 in space. Which makes sense when you consider that Obsidian made this game as well.

We all simp for Parvati. I do love Ellie too, though.

I'm actually doing a solo run. Next time will be different as I'll be playing a more dashing rogue type than the "I can erase you from existence with this hand cannon" type I'm playing now.

Dumb Hitman 3 question. 

I am trying not to google anything and just play the game raw. But I have a few times try to poison somebody with rat poison but it does not kill them instantly. Is there tiers to poison? Rat poison makes them throw up but poison poison kills somebody? 

Yeah, there are three types of poison.

Emetic (usually rat poison), which will make them go and vomit in the nearest toilet, bin or body of water.

Sedative (usually pesticide), which will knock them out instantly.

Lethal (usually poison pill jar), which will kill them instantly.

Fantastic. I have finished Dubai - I poisoned one guy with rat poisoning and was thinking "got em" but it was rat poisoning and he went to throw up and found the body. Oops. Eventually I managed to gun him off.