General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

20 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Still playing The Outer Worlds and they have a quest called Makes Spacesuits, Won't Travel and wow that is a deep cut reference. No wonder I never met anyone else who read that book they all work for Obsidian!

Also, just found out about this

Aw that's quite sad. Feeling for Lynda Carter and the rest of his family. It sounds very sudden and unexpected.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Channel 4 is bringing back Games Master. I can't see it making much of a splash in today's world of Youtube and Twitch, and there isn't Patrick Moore to save it.

a friend of mine does a very good Gamesmaster retrospective podcast, and he's said it's not as much of a done deal as it's being reported - the wording on their website is more of an "exploring our options" thing than any commitment to producing it, and they've said it will be a "social first" show; presumably meaning that it's looking to get some social media content out there under the Gamesmaster brand, rather than any particular effort toward a full-blown TV product. Also, Future Publishing still own the name, so they would need to be involved.

Using the brand to integrate a TV product with YouTube and Twitch content could be interesting, and I think there are still ways to grow outside of that bubble - celebrity challenges with celebs you won't see on Twitch or YouTube, or challenges that require a more physical element than what you can manage on Twitch, would probably be key to it.

But I don't think there's much scope for a youth audience - it might actually be better served focused more on retro gaming and leaning heavily into nostalgia than trying to compete with Twitch streamers and YouTubers. I wonder if Dominic Diamond's own Twitch stuff during lockdown has influenced this.

Yakuza 3 really seems shorter than the rest. I feel like I've not done much and I'm already on chapter 8. But man, the game is rough with bosses. Blocking almost every strike. I'm hoping it's not as bad when I get around to playing 4,5 (which is apparently super long) and 6.

22 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

Yakuza 3 really seems shorter than the rest. I feel like I've not done much and I'm already on chapter 8. But man, the game is rough with bosses. Blocking almost every strike. I'm hoping it's not as bad when I get around to playing 4,5 (which is apparently super long) and 6.

Yakuza 3 is probably the worst offender regarding the bullshit 'Shao Khan has perfect timing' style fights.

4 and later titles (including 0) go into the direction of bosses being more like meatwalls, and also involving more cinematic QTE moments at specific points in the fight.

• Like 1

I think when the new cave update hits Consoles I'm gonna stream my first try in a long time at Hardcore Minecraft. 

Finished Outer Worlds. Planning on playing it again after new DLC comes out (or if it comes up in my backlog drawing).

Next up: Tomb Raider (the first reboot game that is).

Hm. 

So that makes me want to buy the deluxe version less. All it will be escalations and adding stuff to existing maps, correct? I guess I will finish the game and determine if I want the deluxe version. The two remaining maps would have to be pretty great for me to pay for the deluxe. I think I would just be cool playing with upgraded difficulties. 

I just finished Chongqing. Which was interesting. People raved over Dartmoor, but I actually liked that mission the least because there was the least to explore in terms of the city and surrounding areas. 

48 minutes ago, Josh Mulaney said:

If the Deluxe version gets you 1 and 2, that’s worth it.

It does not. The deluxe version is $40 I believe and gets me the DLC. I can pay an extra 30$ to unlock Hitman 1 and 2. I have both on Steam, but I bought Hitman 3 on Xbox Series X because I doubt my PC could run it at this point. 

This afternoon, around 1PM CST, I'm going to have my first affiliate stream! Come one, come all! I think we're going to start it off with some Trivia Murder Party 2, Joke Boat, and then if I can round up a crew transition into some Apex Legends for a little bit (also, if anyone wants to play Apex with me, hit me up)! I'm hoping maybe my first emote will be approved by then.

💖

• Like 1