NHL 2022

SeanDMan

On 14/07/2022 at 16:22, caucasianheat said:

I've never been to Columbus but I have been to Calgary, and yeah, it would have to be an improvement.

Columbus is honestly a pretty awesome city... I mean, at least for Ohio, which is overall a forgettable shit hole.

The Flames filed for club-elected salary arbitration with Tkachuk.

Basically, this means that he cannot be extended an offer sheet from another team now, which is great... because if he wants out, he could have accepted an offer sheet for a one year deal to walk him to free agency and either left Calgary or had Calgary match it knowing that he's likely gone after the season. I do believe that if he were offer-sheeted, he wouldn't be able to be traded until January, which would be a problem. So that's out of the way.

That said, if they were close on a long-term extension, I'm not sure that this would have happened. So I don't believe they are close currently. Filing for arbitration will at least give the Flames a couple of weeks to either hammer out a long-term deal, or send Tkachuk somewhere else for his last RFA season.

Treliving needs to start a bidding war here. Sure, if you're not his preferred destination, you're likely only getting one year of Chucky... but one year of him could be enough to persuade some teams into giving up a good haul... especially if his preferred long-term destinations are in on the bidding.

Tree's gotta get something for him though. You absolutely cannot allow your two top players to just walk away in back to back off-seasons. Losing both of them this year will be a hard pill to swallow, but Mangy wants a long-term deal regardless of what happens with the other players, and if you pull the trigger on a Tkachuk trade before the season starts, maybe you can bring in pieces to help keep the team from regressing.

4 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Kadri STILL hasn't signed, and he was one of the big FAs this year. I'm worried he won't be able to make that mad money if he waits too much longer. 

The return for Tkachuk won't bring back the same expected dollars we would have spent on him this year. Maybe Kadri gets his money on a medium term deal with Calgary after Chucky is moved.

It sure sounds like Tkachuk is moving within the week. Tree wants to start working on next year's team and it would be nice to know what we'll need after looking at whatever pieces come back in a deal.

St Louis is the obvious suitor, but it seems like every time I check the news and rumor sites, there are other teams joining the mix. If interest is high, the return will be very good.

• Like 2

Tree did it!

Dealt a real shit hand, he managed to get Huberdeau (who tied Gaudreau in points last season), Weegar (solidifies the defense), prospect Schwindt (19 goals in first AHL season) and a 1st round pick for Tkachuck from the Panthers.

Great haul, AND it sent Chucky as far away from us as possible. Won't have to play against him often.

This leaves the Flames with about $5.75 million in space and the need for two or three forwards.

I'd take a run at a free agent with a chance to pot 15+ and give some opportunity to younger guys on league minimum deals. I'd also do my best to move Monahan, even if we need to eat some of his cap and just send a team a 3rd or 4th to take him, if it means that we can take a run at signing Kadri.

It made me sad as a Cats fan - Hubey has been a mainstay and is a fairly well known commodity, Weegar has established himself as a top 2-4 defender, plus 2 futures that aren't anything to sneeze at. Tkachuk is young and just coming off of a break out year, but there is no guarantee that he can replicate it. Hope he can, for sure, but just seems like a lot to give up for that hope

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toe said:

Flames sign Kadri.

Tree keeps on giving. The contract is seven years at seven million per. Lots of people are saying it's too much and too long, but with the cap going back up, it's a legitimately good calculated risk. The dollar amount is absolutely fine for the next couple years, and depending on how quickly Kadri loses value, may not ever be a problem for the team if the cap increases at a faster rate than Kadri depreciates.

He's a huge upgrade down the middle. Lindholm, Kadri and Backlund as our top 3 centers is a solid group.

AND, to make the deal work, Sean Monahan is headed to Montreal.

It would have been easy to tear everything down after Tkachuk and Gaudreau bailed, but Treliving has done a fantastic job of ensuring that our opening night roster is every bit as good as last season, if not better.

If we can afford to keep Lucic, I would imagine that the locker room gets a huge boost over how it was last season, and it's those types of intangibles that can push a team from pretender to contender.

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Monahan, 2025 Conditional 1st for future considerations. Jeeze.

Since the team is in "Win Now" mode, I'll allow it.

Monahan COULD bounce back, and then the trade looks really bad, but all of the injuries have taken their toll and I don't believe for a second that he'll ever be a six million dollar man again. It's a steep price to pay to get someone to take a player off our hands, but it's the addition of Kadri that makes this whole thing palatable to Flames fans.

He'll make a million more than Monahan, but even with regression, I firmly believe that Kadri at 7 is worth it.

9 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Surely at this point Price is LTIRetired.

Yeah I'm sure it's going to end up that way, which will make my wife horribly sad since that's her guy. But they really need to get their fingers out of their asses and get a goaltender because so far, they haven't been able to find two to do the work of one Carey Price.

It was nice to get Price and Weber to a Cup final in essentially their last run. Weber's off to LTIRetire in Vegas and Price looks set to do the same in Montreal. Given the nature of LTIR I can't envision a scenario when he can come back.

Monahan is hopefully going to return to form somewhat and can be flipped at the trade deadline. Hope for his sake he rents in Montreal and doesn't buy a place.

12 minutes ago, Forky said:

Yeah I'm sure it's going to end up that way, which will make my wife horribly sad since that's her guy. But they really need to get their fingers out of their asses and get a goaltender because so far, they haven't been able to find two to do the work of one Carey Price.

It wouldn't shock me if they take their time in the hunt. I'm sure there will be some solid options that need to clear waivers in the opening months, or maybe they can swing a deal to bring someone in.

I also would be shocked if the Monahan discussion didn't include talk about Dan Vladar. He's not on the outs, by any means, but Dustin Wolf's progress has been much faster than normal for a goalie and I wouldn't be upset to see him make 30 starts this season in the Flames net. Vladar was rock solid last year. Wolf's knocking on the door, and it's unlikely that Markstrom goes anywhere, so I think Vladar moves at some point this year or in the off-season to open the path to a Markstrom/Wolf tandem.

• 1 month later...

PK Subban's retired from this NHL. He's an absolute lock for TV if he wants it. Given what's recently gone on with NFL retirees and the general desire to get them on TV immediately so you don't lose them to another network he could command a huge salary if he wants it.

Or he could just go around and be the extremely good dude he is, putting smiles on kid's faces for years to come. Or both, I suppose.

Also... Subban and, effectively, Price in the same summer. ☹️

• Like 1