NHL 2022

SeanDMan

Flames and Stars game seven damn near gave me a heart attack.

It really just felt like another one of those classic "Flames completely dominate, can't score, make a stupid mistake and lose" situations.

Oettinger almost stole that series for Dallas. I don't think Mike Smith can put on that type of performance, so if the Flames can do what they did in round one, the Battle of Alberta should go the way of the good guys.

20 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Flames and Stars game seven damn near gave me a heart attack.

It really just felt like another one of those classic "Flames completely dominate, can't score, make a stupid mistake and lose" situations.

Oettinger almost stole that series for Dallas. I don't think Mike Smith can put on that type of performance, so if the Flames can do what they did in round one, the Battle of Alberta should go the way of the good guys.

I gotta say, as a Wild fan, I'll be rooting for the Flames to come out of the West!

Well, the social media meltdown about the first round series being too "boring" must have gotten to the Flames.

They scored 15 goals in the entire 7 game first round series. 15 goals were scored, combined, in the first game of round 2.

The big downside to the Flames being so dominant is that Markstrom is very much one of those goalies who needs to be seeing the puck to stay in the game. He looked lost out there at times last night, and I feel like it's probably because he wasn't getting much action. (And then when he did, it was the big guns flying around for a short burst of offense).

It's hard to fault him for this one, but if I'm Sutter, I have him on a short leash in game 2. Not that Marky isn't our guy, but he needs to find a way to stay focused and ready. He was brilliant in the first round. If tomorrow night yields similar play to game 1, I'd have no issue bringing in Darth Vladar to see what he's capable of in the pressure cooker.

Also, mega props to Blake Coleman for calling out the team after the game. Yeah, they won, and in the end it's the W's that matter... but there is no way that anybody in that room should be happy that the game ended up being that close.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I want to get into NHL. Sell me on a team to follow (preferably with ease of access watching in the UK).

If it helps based on kit, my favourite colour is blue 😅

So in recent years the most successful team wears blue - the Tampa Bay Lightning. Though with the salary cap it's tough to say how much longer their reign will last. 

Toronto is another team in blue that's very close. Same with the New York Rangers. But with both of those you're jumping on the bandwagon of one of the most popular hockey teams there is. Edmonton has blue and orange as their primaries as well as the best player in all of hockey. 

Buffalo is a blue team that is DREADFUL, and has been for over a decade. No one will question if you're a frontrunner (or plastic as they call it in the UK) if you support them. The New York Islanders are similar though did just have a nice run of success. They're very poorly run and you'll likely never see a championship with them though.

There are other blue teams but they're all in the bang average category.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Benji said:

I want to get into NHL. Sell me on a team to follow (preferably with ease of access watching in the UK).

If it helps based on kit, my favourite colour is blue 😅

Pick one of the Florida teams. It's ridiculous that they are the ones succeeding the most right now. 

• Like 1

But they are from Florida 😕

I'll be honest, I'm not hugely bothered about following a winning team. It's what makes the big victories all the more sweet when you aren't following a top level team.

Toronto was one of the teams I have a soft spot for simply because I have a soft spot for Toronto in general. I also like having people to enjoy the victories with though so if people actually support a team we can enjoy the wins together!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

I'll be honest, I'm not hugely bothered about following a winning team. It's what makes the big victories all the more sweet when you aren't following a top level team.

Toronto was one of the teams I have a soft spot for simply because I have a soft spot for Toronto in general. I also like having people to enjoy the victories with though so if people actually support a team we can enjoy the wins together!

You can't go wrong with success. Also the Panthers are a great nickname. 

• Like 1

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-playoffs-avalanche-kadri-racist-comments-death-threats-fueled-game-4-hat-trick-blues-160010941.html

Reading the racist/bigoted comments that the Kadri family received after Game 3 just sucks but glad to see he answered them on the ice with hat trick

On 21/05/2022 at 10:04, Benji said:

Pick the Leafs! The most cursed team in hockey! Awesome in the regular season, having the best players in franchise history, but haven't won the cup since 67 and haven't won a playoff series since 04! When they eventually win, it's going to be glorious! (But they won't. Because cursed)

Full marks to Edmonton for not falling apart after the opening of game one.

Fuck the refs for sending game five to overtime.

The Flames should, as Darryl Sutter mentioned, feel proud of their season. Their playoff hockey was considerably better than it has been in years.

That said, even with the officials stealing the winning goal away from Coleman, it should never have come to that in the first place. They went hard at Edmonton in game one, let up and paid for it. The better team won the series, but we absolutely should have had game six at the very least.

Let's go... Tampa Bay?

I'm largely indifferent - either we get a historic threepeat, a really fun Carolina team winning, the brilliant Colorado rebuild paying off, or McDavid carrying Edmonton to glory despite that entire organization. Rangers are the one team I guess I'd be disappointed about but also it's hilarious the worst era for NY pro sports in history would end with the MLS team and the NHL team that never get discussed on WFAN, et al winning championships.

• Like 2