The January Transfer Window - 2022

Lineker

4 hours ago, Adam said:

West Ham are apparently in for a striker named Gabi Goals.

I'm only slightly exaggerating that one.

For those who don't know him he's actually been regarded as (one of) the best striker(s) in south America in the past 3/4 years.

I'm surprised there are EPL clubs interested though. Always thought his return to Europe would be to La Liga or Serie A. Even Bundesliga.

Also, no slight exaggeration there. That's his nickname. 🙂

3 hours ago, Adam said:

I do believe they did turn out for Fulham at the same time.

Not as good, but I also like that both James McCarthy and James McArthur played for Hamilton together, then subsequently went to Wigan and played together there at the same time. They're not the same nationality either.

They were also at Palace together up until this summer.

• Like 1

Gabigol is a big risk, and not even because of how much he flopped at Inter and Benfica. From the stuff I've read on him, he's really only best when playing as a second striker, which not a lot of clubs really utilize. Flamengo have gotten such success with him by playing 442/4222.

Arsenal have accepted a straight loan offer from Roma for Maitland-Niles with no option to buy. 

I find this one a bit odd to be honest, especially as we’ll be left with only Xhaka and Lokonga as senior central midfield options this month with Partey and Elneny at the AFCON. I really hope it doesn’t mean a shift to 4-3-3 with Odegaard/Smith Rowe playing ahead of Xhaka - as it hasn’t really come to fruition when we’ve tried before and we’re really starting to hit our stride with the current setup.

• Admin

For £12m, we really should have slung a bid in for him.

Brighton have signed the Poland midfielder Kacper Kozlowski, who last summer became the youngest player to play at a European Championship. The 18-year-old has joined from Pogon Szczecin for £8m on a contract to June 2026 but will go straight on loan to the Belgian club Royale Union St-Gilloise.

Kozlowski made history when, aged 17 years and 246 days, he came on for Poland against Spain at Euro 2020, breaking a record set less than a week earlier by England’s Jude Bellingham.

“His style of play suits us and our style,” said Brighton’s manager, Graham Potter. “During my time here, we have done very well in recruiting players for the future and Kacper is a similar signing.

“He will initially head out on loan, as it is important for him to continue his development, and he is keen to continue playing regularly. We will be watching with interest, as he is a very exciting young talent.”

Kozlowski made his first-team debut for Pogon aged 15 years and 215 days as a last-minute substitute and has played six times for Poland. He was unable to train for almost six months from January 2020 after suffering injuries, including to his spine, in a car crash.

16 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Gabigol is a big risk, and not even because of how much he flopped at Inter and Benfica. From the stuff I've read on him, he's really only best when playing as a second striker, which not a lot of clubs really utilize. Flamengo have gotten such success with him by playing 442/4222.

Not saying it would work, but he's much better now than he was back when he first left Brazil for Inter. Much, much better. I used to think he was never going to be as good as they predicted when he was a teenager, but in the last 3 years or so, I changed my mind. I really think he can make it in Europe. Still unsure if the EPL is the place for that to happen, though.