General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

watched Knives Out and Glass Onion over the last two nights. I love how Rian Johnson's mind works.

I have also never seen a Craig-era bond movie but I have seen both times he's played Benoit Blanc. That's just who Daniel Craig is to me now.

Benoit Blanc is his best role and I'll go to bat for that forever. Two extremely fun movies held together by an impossibly likeable detective.

Glass Onion was great, doubling down on all the hallmarks of classic detective stories. I'm excited for the next installments, this is a proper franchise in that they will likely all standalone without the suffocating worldbuilding and easter eggs prevalent elsewhere.

• Like 3

There was one quick reference to Knives Out, but aside from that yea, completely disconnected.  Also loved it, fantastic movie

Also watched Bullet Train over the weekend and that was just great fun.  Lots of laughs

8 hours ago, K said:

What was the knives out reference?

I can't remember exactly how he says it, but when Benoit is telling Miles Bron how he got the box.  He says something about how he doesn't have good history of things showing up at his door.  Thats how he got the job in Knives Out, the envelope just showed up at his door

• Thanks 1

I watched Glass Onion two days ago and I also repeat the gushing over it, it was absolutely delightful. It was extremely dense, and it took a while to get into the meaty bits, but since most of the mystery was about the setup it of course was genuinely fun to see all those little bits and red herrings that threw you off. The eventual reveal, albeit a bit cheating through unreliable narration, was great.

It's hard to really say which one I liked better, though. Glass Onion was grand in every way, by design, seeing it was all about an out of touch tech billionaire having a self-indulgent wank session about his brilliance. But I liked Knives Out's more quaint setting, and more personal stakes.

But I think that's where the brilliance of the franchise lies already, they can switch it up from one film to the next. Put in Benoit Blanc, add an ensemble around it, and present a different mystery presented in a different way. The lack of a distinct formula sets it above other whodunits, you go in expecting a mystery but you won't directly know what it'll end up being.