General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

4 years ago Michael Flatley (the dancer best known for the shows Riverdance and Lord of the Dance) made a movie.

Its finally getting a release. In Ireland anyway.

• Like 1

Nintendo has bought CG Production company Dynamo Pictures and will rename it to Nintendo Pictures once the acquisition closes which is expected to happen in early October. Looks like Nintendo won't be relying on other studios to produce movies based on their IPs any longer.

Here is what Dynamo Pictures has worked on in the past: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?companies=co0199346&sort=release_date,asc

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/14/23214706/nintendo-dynamo-pictures-acquisition-pictures-mario-movie

Tread Softly Stranger. It is still one of my all time favourite gritty British Black and White suspense noir drama at it's best. The story, setting, cast and performance still add up to a tense performance from each cast member that leads out into the final scenes. The ending is one I remember fondly. Think a Colombo episodes borrowed the same plot idea at one stage.

Diana Dors standing out in all her glory of being a femme fatale early in her career. The British Monroe. Bonus fact is that Carry On Legend Jim Dale sings the theme tune for movie.  

treadsoftlystranger1.jpg

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'd really like to see The Black Phone and I see I can watch it at home now for $20. Is it worth that or should I just wait until it's normal rental price?

I really really liked it but it's probably not worth $20. 

I don't think you'd regret it but you'd also be fine to wait for it to lower in price.

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Maxx said:

Awful is the word you're looking for.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 18:32, Hobo said:

4 years ago Michael Flatley (the dancer best known for the shows Riverdance and Lord of the Dance) made a movie.

Its finally getting a release. In Ireland anyway.

I mean, he's a terrible man and it looks a terrible film (almost a pastiche of a terrible film with Eric Roberts right there), but I really want to see it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, damhausen said:

The Munsters trailer looks like it's a comedy sketch meant to make fun of the idea of Rob Zombie's The Munsters.

Yikes.

Yeah, that didn't feel like an official trailer at all. Felt more like something Cracked or CollegeHumor would slap together.

On 14/07/2022 at 00:48, Lint said:

This looks...yea...I dunno...

We've been discussing this over at Byrne Robotics since the first pictures were released months ago. The thread is up to 10 pages now. I'd post a link, but you have to be a member to view the section it is in. None of us dicussing it are even remotely interested in seeing it. I'm a fan of Rob Zombie as a musician, but most of his movies are....eh.

NO ONE is going to be nearly as good as the original actors, casting his wife as Lilly is a huge mistake (she's pretty, but not really a great actress), and making it about how Herman and Lilly met is not really a good idea. As for the trailer, I'll say what I said when it was posted at BR: I'd call it crap, but crap doesn't really deserve the insult. 

P.S. Also looks like something Funny or Die would do, not just Cracked or CollegeHumor. 

Edited by GhostMachine

Watch Michael Myers and Laurie Strode finally end it for the 4th time!

Do we have any old school horror fans here?

Universal Monsters to Hammer Horror and Amicus. I love the old horror movies the best. Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney and his son Lon Chaney Jr are rated highly on my list for their work at Universal Studios. Dracula will always be Lugosi in my eyes even when I have seen Christopher Lee play him more. The Wolf Man is still my favourite of the lot. The tragic plot of a man in love who wants to do no harm. The sympathy that Chaney makes you feel is often the one thing I remember about the film. Might seem silly some of these films to a modern audience. Without them we wouldn't have the films we do today I guess. 

Black and white movies are treat now and again to watch. Something enjoyable with a good atmosphere and not too much colour to distract you as the viewer. Allowing you to focus more on the characters and acting with the story.

The 3rd Man is one I will always go back to watching for Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton. The noir style of filming is what made me appreciate the characters and plot a lot more. Some very good scenes in it with the setting and historical information it presents from France in WW2. 

Speaking of Hitchcock. Sky Arts are going to be showing most of his work at the end of the month. Psycho, The Birds, Rope and Rear Window. Should be good performances from classic actors and actresses with visuals of times gone by. 

Murder Mystery Night soon. So I am going to be checking 'Knives Out' when I can find the time. It has been on the watch list for far too long. 

2 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Do we have any old school horror fans here?

Universal Monsters to Hammer Horror and Amicus. I love the old horror movies the best. Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney and his son Lon Chaney Jr are rated highly on my list for their work at Universal Studios. Dracula will always be Lugosi in my eyes even when I have seen Christopher Lee play him more. The Wolf Man is still my favourite of the lot. The tragic plot of a man in love who wants to do no harm. The sympathy that Chaney makes you feel is often the one thing I remember about the film. Might seem silly some of these films to a modern audience. Without them we wouldn't have the films we do today I guess. 

Black and white movies are treat now and again to watch. Something enjoyable with a good atmosphere and not too much colour to distract you as the viewer. Allowing you to focus more on the characters and acting with the story.

The 3rd Man is one I will always go back to watching for Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton. The noir style of filming is what made me appreciate the characters and plot a lot more. Some very good scenes in it with the setting and historical information it presents from France in WW2. 

Speaking of Hitchcock. Sky Arts are going to be showing most of his work at the end of the month. Psycho, The Birds, Rope and Rear Window. Should be good performances from classic actors and actresses with visuals of times gone by. 

Murder Mystery Night soon. So I am going to be checking 'Knives Out' when I can find the time. It has been on the watch list for far too long. 

I have the Universal Monsters DVD set with all the classic movies, and I'm slowly (like 2 movies a year) making my way through the set. Some of my favourites so far have been Dracula's Daughter, Son Of Frankenstein, and Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein. I haven't watched any of the Mummy movies, but I'll try to start on them come October.

EDIT - Obviously, I also loved Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride Of Frankenstein. Just wanted to make that clear!

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2022 at 05:25, Lint said:

Watch Michael Myers and Laurie Strode finally end it for the 4th time!

I hope they stick with it this time around. I remember when Laurie Strode decapitated Myers in H20 and that was supposed to be it. Until H20 was really successful and the studio wanted to make another one and in one of the most stupid retcons in movie history, it turns out the guy Laurie decapitated wasn't Myers, but some poor EMT Myers put his mask and overall on and then tied up and gagged so he couldn't talk. And then they kill Laurie Strode in the first 15 minutes of Resurrection, robbing Michael of his entire raison d'être. And in the end he gets an axe driven through his skull by Busta Rhymes.

16 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Its a great movie! But a small correction - The Third Man is set in (and filmed in) post WW2 Vienna not France.

Speaking of post WW2 movies with Orson Welles. The Stranger is a brilliant film about the hunt for a Nazi war criminal hiding out in an American university town.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry for the mistake on the setting. Think because I was thinking of the Cassablanca line at the time. Which in turn made me think of France and not Vienna. Thank you @Hobo

Yes The Stranger is another brilliant film with Orson Welles. Suspenseful. Believe it was the first time in history that footage was shown of the concentration camps from WW2. The clock tower sticks out in my mind as a really good set piece and addition to the film. 

@ToeA great selection. The Mummy films are actually pretty good. Sure you will enjoy them.

Would recommend you check out Hammer Horror with their Mummy films. Personal favorite is Valerie Leon in Blood From The Mummy's Tomb. I was lucky enough to interview her about the movie a few years back for a project. 

David Warner (Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tron, The Omen, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Titanic, Star Trek - The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country AND TNG plus a whole heap of other roles) died aged 80.

Legitimate one of my favourite actors. He was great in everything even Quest of the Delta Knights on MST3K.

• Like 2