General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

4 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

That cult never made sense to me. What was their goal? And why the hell did it involve impregnating his own niece?

I have no idea why the plot was so bad of 5th and 6th film. Even the 4th was not great. But for some reason 6 and Paul Rudd get my trashy love everytime. It's the only one I remember well of them all. Even H2O. Have no reason to love the film either because it's trash. 

Speaking of slasher movies. Also the same with Jason. Issues with that series.

Have either of you checked out the YouTube videos that break into the franchise?! You might enjoy how they study and talk about them. 

If you want a good break down of the Friday The 13th franchise, check out Crystal Lake Memories. It's on Shudder, and also available on Blu-Ray. It's an amazing breakdown of each film with interviews from the people that made them. As a huge fan of the franchise, I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Toe said:

If you want a good break down of the Friday The 13th franchise, check out Crystal Lake Memories. It's on Shudder, and also available on Blu-Ray. It's an amazing breakdown of each film with interviews from the people that made them. As a huge fan of the franchise, I highly recommend it. 

Similarly for Nightmare on Elm Street, there is Never Sleep Again, which does a deep dive into each film. I preferred NSA to Crystal Lake Memories, but both were fantastic looks at franchises that we love even though they make us scratch our heads quite often.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

The movie would have worked if it was not a Halloween film

I've always said this about Halloween 3.  Drop the Halloween name, release it as 'Season of the Witch' and it's a perfectly fine movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lint said:

I've always said this about Halloween 3.  Drop the Halloween name, release it as 'Season of the Witch' and it's a perfectly fine movie

It's a great movie if you take out the Halloween name part. Confused me the first watch around of it waiting for Myers to show up. But when you forget that it is quite a decent story and interesting moments. Think it was only bad because of it being part of the franchise really and some fans did not take to the new approach for the franchise. It should not have gotten the hate it did. On second and third viewings of it and looking at it from many ways I quite enjoy it. The theme song addicting to sing when I was a teenager coming up to Halloween. 

An evil corporation with a CEO bent on madness with masks and the plot device of the advert. Excellent. Props to the main actor Tom Atkins for his performance in the craziness of it all.  Season of the Witch possibly should get a sequel or at least a reboot. Masks activated by social media or tiktok. Could work still. Mobile phones and smartphones would be an interesting plot device for the modern day. Interesting scenes of everyone pulling there phones out with the advert playing and then carnage. 

On 26/07/2022 at 13:47, 9 to 5 said:

David Warner was one of those guys you were always excited to see pop up in whatever you were watching as he is just such a good actor no matter what he is in or doing.

I re-watched his appearance in the Chain of Command episode on Star Trek: The Next Generation and not only does he turn in an iconic performance. He did so after only being hired on short notice and having hardly enough time to learn his lines - which is was reading off of cue cards.

I also just learned that his final role was reprising the role of Freakazoid's nemesis The Lobe in an episode of Teen Titans Go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

It's a great movie if you take out the Halloween name part. Confused me the first watch around of it waiting for Myers to show up. But when you forget that it is quite a decent story and interesting moments. Think it was only bad because of it being part of the franchise really and some fans did not take to the new approach for the franchise. It should not have gotten the hate it did. On second and third viewings of it and looking at it from many ways I quite enjoy it. The theme song addicting to sing when I was a teenager coming up to Halloween. 

An evil corporation with a CEO bent on madness with masks and the plot device of the advert. Excellent. Props to the main actor Tom Atkins for his performance in the craziness of it all.  Season of the Witch possibly should get a sequel or at least a reboot. Masks activated by social media or tiktok. Could work still. Mobile phones and smartphones would be an interesting plot device for the modern day. Interesting scenes of everyone pulling there phones out with the advert playing and then carnage. 

I had an idea for something like that, after watching the movie NERVE (2016):

A company that manufactures Halloween costumes and props decides to do a big contest as a major promotion, where the conestants have to wear special masks that contain webcams. On Halloween, they have to complete a series of challenges to win prizes. If a contestant fails a challenge, they get to move on to the next without winning a prize, but are eliminated after a second failure. Whoever completes the most challenges by midnight wins the big prize. (Prize is split if there's a tie) What no one knows is that a demented maniac has made some....changes....to the contest: You fail, there *is* no second chance: The mask explodes, killing the wearer! The only way to stay alive is to NOT fail, meaning you have to complete every single challenge by midnight! 

The maniac is a disgruntled former employee who designed the company's most popular items...including the masks the contestants are wearing....but was fired due to what he believes was corporate greed. Though its eventually revealed they had a legitimate cause. (They used toxic materials in some of the props or stole designs from someone else.)

The heroes are the daughter of the company's CEO, and her boyfriend, who both entered the contest. 

• Like 3

I can't wait for Nope to hit streaming, since it's just not a good idea for me to go to a movie theater. I have had five Moderna shots, but I have a suppressed immune system due to a kidney transplant. I've managed to avoid everything about it except for the first trailer, and a couple of moments during the TV ads that aired during the NBA Finals.

17 hours ago, mattman1624 said:

I can't wait for Nope to hit streaming, since it's just not a good idea for me to go to a movie theater. I have had five Moderna shots, but I have a suppressed immune system due to a kidney transplant. I've managed to avoid everything about it except for the first trailer, and a couple of moments during the TV ads that aired during the NBA Finals.

Has there been any information released about a streaming release yet?

I'm in a similar boat. My partner has MS and has a severely compromised immune system. So, I basically go to work, the grocery store and then come home. Because of that, I have really appreciated the quicker turnaround on getting movies from the cinema to the streaming realm.

20 minutes ago, Josh said:

It’ll be Chris Pratt walking through mazes, eating fruit, and running from ghosts.

That is just what he does anyway

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2022 at 17:10, Josh said:

It’ll be Chris Pratt walking through mazes, eating fruit, and running from ghosts.

Nah. Chris Pratt will be playing Mario in the live action Donkey Kong movie and its sequels.

You'll take Chris Pine as Pac-Man, and like it!

(Wish I could find it, but years ago I wrote the dialog for a trailer for a Dig Dug movie. Don't remember it too well, but I cast Bruce Campbell as the lead.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

So I really enjoyed Prey. Nice to see a genuinely good Predator movie, particularly after the train wreck that The Predator 2018 turned out to be.

I never saw the Predators movie from 2010. Is it worth checking out?

Predators wasn't bad. It was a pretty cool idea, and I don't remember anything really groan worthy. Walton Goggins and Topher Grace are awesome in it. Laurence Fishburne is... there.

Prey though... holy hell, was that good. I've got it ranked at number one in the franchise. The original is a solid number two. Either Predators or Predator 2 gets the number three slot for me, but it alternates based on which I've seen more recently.

I would absolutely love a series of Predator movies like Prey, that take place in various different settings and have only loose connections to other films, if any. There are so many cool stories that could be told. Why not jump on the bandwagon and make a Predator film based in World War 2, ala Overlord?

Or the American Civil War... or a movie based on an extremist right wing faction that takes up arms because their President is voted out of office?

Shit, I'd even be down with a movie where the government has caught a Yautja and weaponizes it against their enemies. Not like in The Predator though. No weird fucking upgrades or anything. Just a bad ass Yautja under the control of the government, maybe fitted with a kill-switch like in Suicide Squad. Though, I suppose with the language barrier, they'd have to capture a few so that one or two of them could try to rebel and get blown to shit in front of the others.

Anyways... I just want to see more like Prey. Make a movie that would be a good movie, even without the titular character, and treat it seriously. That's what worked the most about Prey for me. Nothing about the quality of the movie suffers because it's in the Predator franchise.

• Like 1

I too have just watched Prey and while I don't know exactly where I'd rank it between that and the original it was definitely a lot better than I was expecting it to be and didn't overstay it's welcome like some films tend to. Would like to see what they were to do with it going forwards but I'd worry about diminishing returns so we'll have to see.

Wherever it ranks on my list, I think it did have my favourite sequence

Spoiler

The Yautja taking on the French trappers was amazing. The moment the muskets go off and they have to stop to reload you know the shits about to hit the fan but the lower tech leads to one of the most brutal sequences and would almost make the film worth watching alone even if it wasn't a good watch around it.

I'm sure there were a load of little things in there that I didn't absorb first time round and unlike a lot of things I'd definitely watch it again to see how much I missed and don't think it would diminish the enjoyment at all.