General Movie Thread 2022

RPS

Not going to pass final judgment on Chris Pratt's Mario voice yet (sounds like he's trying for 80% him, 20% Captain Lou Albano's Mario) but the rest of it I like. Love that the voiceover direction seems to be pushing the cast to do character voices and not their own speaking voices.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Roku has, apparently, put up Weird: The Al Yankovic Story up for free, without a subscription.

Its fantastic.  Think of something like Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox Story but its about a real person.  Just a complete parody of the biopic

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 20:44, livid said:

cannot wait

I dunno man. It looks good, like im sure I'll enjoy it but it looks really similar to the last film in a lot of respects. I think for me, they went in a really different direction after the first one, I've liked the whole series but it sort of doesn't feel like it's necessary? Dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

This manages to be both hard to watch, and also really funny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haaaaate that subtitle.   It looks good and I'm definitely intrigued, but wow some of that CGI looks really bad, and like its way over done.

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

I think it'll need to be overdone, watching Ford run about in the Force Awakens was bad enough, and that'll be nearly 8 years ago when this comes out.

I'm talking about the video game rendering of New York City.

Plus the whole thing has this artificial veneer that's trying to look very Spielberg-esque, but that's out of place because his Indy films never looked like that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everything Everywhere All At Once was outstanding. Definitely a transformative piece of film. Anyone who likes action movies and/or experimental film should watch it. If film wasn't in the shitter because of Marvel and Disney, this would change the landscape of film like the Matrix did. 

I also watched The French Dispatch last evening. I have watched every Wes Anderson movie and it felt like the most unlike a Wes Anderson movie. It certainly wears it's influences on its sleeve. I do not really know if I would recommend it. It was certainly interesting. 

Starting to get through the most notable films of the year since they're popping up on streaming, digital rental, or physical purchase. 

Started off with The Banshees of Inisherin which was fantastic. Everything about it is just so, so good. Only mild complaint is it felt obligated to hit you over the head with what it's a metaphor for more than a few times. But then as I've sat on it for a few days I've come up with totally different themes that are also completely valid in an interpretation of the movie.

• Like 1