Summer Transfer Window 2022

Lineker

Southampton obviously had to supplement buying a first team footballer with more Man City prospects!

And for some fun Mario Balotelli news! 

And for USMNT fans...

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

All those sign a midfielder guys can relax 

It's kind of hilarious really, that we finally actually do it, and we're signing someone as injury prone as Thiago and is also currently *checks notes* injured. Classic Liverpool 🤣

Liverpool don't sign a midfielder and people cry out for a midfielder.

Liverpool do sign a midfielder and he's not the right midfielder.

🤷‍♂️

I'm glad we're signing at least someone because it's so brutally apparent that the midfield needs to be upgraded, and I hope that Arthur is able to finally start playing, playing well, and staying healthy, since that's not happened for him the last 2 seasons at Juve. But I'd rather laugh about it than get my hopes up!

I honestly don't know how you look at this current Liverpool midfield, and think it doesn't need upgrading.

Here's the midfielders who are definitely injury prone: Thiago, Keita, Henderson, Ox (I'm not calling Fabinho injury prone, but he's always good for an injury or two each season)

Here's the midfielders who are just not good enough to be in the Liverpool midfield: Milner, Ox, and if we're honest, Curtis Jones 

Here's the midfielders who are in pretty bad form: Henderson, Fabinho

We have one midfielder who is actually playing well, and it's a 19 year old. That's incredibly troubling.

I don't deny there's probably a need to get some fresh midfielders in

But the furore over it is just silly. Its partly why i can't be bothered with transfer rumours and news.

You just get a bunch of people treating real life like its Football Manager and I don't have the energy for it.

Also, I mean, the same group of players finished 2nd, won 2 trophies and played every game available to them last season. They must not be too bad. Its not like its the  days of  Charlie Adam.

It's the nature of Twitter, it has to talk about something. I've got notifications set for an account that literally does nothing but retweet confirmed transfers from the official Newcastle account, and it's perfect.

Dan James to Fulham seems to be the talk now. Seems a bit odd, granted he was a Bielsa guy and he's not been starting but he's one of the immediate back ups on the wing and up front. I know he's only a makeshift striker but we've lost Rodrigo for however long and there's always questions over Bamford. Plus there doesn't seem to be much going on coming in. Presumably he must be happy with Gelhardt up front for now and Sinesterra as the backup on the wings.

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I don't deny there's probably a need to get some fresh midfielders in

But the furore over it is just silly. Its partly why i can't be bothered with transfer rumours and news.

You just get a bunch of people treating real life like its Football Manager and I don't have the energy for it.

Also, I mean, the same group of players finished 2nd, won 2 trophies and played every game available to them last season. They must not be too bad. Its not like its the  days of  Charlie Adam.

I do agree with you fully that a lot of the furore on social media is way too OTT. I hate that we waited until deadline day to do anything, and think it's absurd that Liverpool didn't sign someone this summer when it was clear the midfield needed an upgrade (hence trying to buy Tchouaméni). Think we should have brought in Nunes from Sporting, or tried to get Tielemans or Soler on bargain fees). 

I have typically supported that same exact argument of look at how close this squad got to a Quadruple, but I think even then the signs were pretty clear that the squad was both running on fumes and the midfield was too reliant on Thiago. 

My big worries right now are Fabinho being so out of form/run into the ground and Henderson sadly looking like he's just lost his legs. Really hoping Fabinho can work his way back into form because he's so important to us.

Wasn't the idea that Carvalho and Elliot get bedded in this season and then Bellingham comes in next season? Or is that all a pipe dream?

Bedding in 3 teenagers at once would be a really bad idea if they're to be the future of your midfield, but seeing more Elliot and Carvalho this season with a view to Elliot/Fabinho/Bellingham being the midfield next season seems pretty reasonable.

Liverpools midfield is pretty good, it's just injury prone and this isn't football manager or Man City, you can't have 30 players to play those 3 positions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

Wasn't the idea that Carvalho and Elliot get bedded in this season and then Bellingham comes in next season? Or is that all a pipe dream?

Bedding in 3 teenagers at once would be a really bad idea if they're to be the future of your midfield, but seeing more Elliot and Carvalho this season with a view to Elliot/Fabinho/Bellingham being the midfield next season seems pretty reasonable.

Liverpools midfield is pretty good, it's just injury prone and this isn't football manager or Man City, you can't have 30 players to play those 3 positions.

Carvalho may not end up playing in midfield, it's really way too early to tell honestly. He's mainly played as a 10 or RW in his career, and so far for Liverpool he has played in the front 3. 

I would like to think we're getting Bellingham next summer, but I would absolutely not be surprised if City/United/Chelsea come in and offer BVB/Jude more money and we lose out in the end. It's just too early to tell.