Summer Transfer Window 2022

Lineker

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

In other news, Forest are paying what is likely to be a £35m+ fee to Wolves for Morgan Gibbs-White. He'll be their 16th signing of the summer.

Is this the English tax doing its thing or is he that good?

Had a good season at Sheffield United in the Championship last year. Not £35m good though.

• Like 1

There's a whole host of players he's younger than (KDB etc), and now that they've signed new deals there's no talk about their age.

City signed Fernandinho late in his career and he's done a great job for them. And Casemiro will obviously improve our shit midfield. He's one of the best DMs around and we badly need cover for that position. £50m outright is actually cheaper than I thought Real would be holding out for tbh.

42 minutes ago, Baddar said:

There's a whole host of players he's younger than (KDB etc), and now that they've signed new deals there's no talk about their age.

City signed Fernandinho late in his career and he's done a great job for them. And Casemiro will obviously improve our shit midfield. He's one of the best DMs around and we badly need cover for that position. £50m outright is actually cheaper than I thought Real would be holding out for tbh.

It's not the age for me. He's a world class player. It's the fact of look at how Madrid set up and his style of play compared to how United want to set up and play under Ten Hag. 

It screams more of a this is a board signing rather than a manager signing because you've spent all summer fucking about trying to get someone who doesn't want to join and then your second choice was a guy who's mother is a nightmare to deal with and then it's like well let's lash some money about and see what happens. Casemiro is getting a massive payday out of this and I don't blame him for going. If it doesn't work you're now stuck with another player on very high wages 

• Like 2

It just all screams "yeah I'm getting a lot more money for a lot longer than I'll get at Madrid. I'm okay with not winning trophies anymore."

Also, FWIW, Fernandino had just turned 28 when he signed for City, and wasn't remotely expected to be the incredible star he turned out to be for City. Good squad player, regular starter, sure. But pretty sure he was signed to be an 8 and/or back up to Yaya Toure. But he came in and was so good that it allowed Yaya Toure to move into the 8 and have his best season ever. You can't really compare the signing with him and Casemiro.

So United went from De Jong to Rabiot to Casemiro? All totally different sorts of midfield players. 

Was there ever the thinking to sign one of De Jong and Rabiot along with Casemiro? Or is it a case of get who they can? Because that shows absolutely no real coherent strategy to their recruitment, which means the club will still be stuck in the same place in a few years.

2 minutes ago, FLiam said:

So United went from De Jong to Rabiot to Casemiro? All totally different sorts of midfield players. 

Was there ever the thinking to sign one of De Jong and Rabiot along with Casemiro? Or is it a case of get who they can? Because that shows absolutely no real coherent strategy to their recruitment, which means the club will still be stuck in the same place in a few years.

I think it was likely that "sign De Jong" and "sign Rabiot" were different thoughts, with Casemiro replacing Rabiot after talks with Rabiot broke down. I think anyone we were pursuing prior to the first game of the season was absolutely part of a strategy - but a strategy entirely undermined by poor target identification and worse decision making.

Anything after Brighton is pure panic.

Fofana is left out of Leicester's squad for tomorrow's match because, Rodgers says, his 'mindset is not right' following two failed bids from Chelsea.

Whether it'll come to nothing or Chelsea will pay stupid, stupid money (like, £80m stupid)... who tf knows.

Meanwhile, I suspect we'll probably end up with Aubameyang on deadline day.

I expect Fofana will go. Leicester will always sell if the money is right, Leicester NEED money right now, and I think Fofana will force their hand. Leicester are in a really dire situation right now between their finances and quite a few unhappy players

2 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Fofana is left out of Leicester's squad for tomorrow's match because, Rodgers says, his 'mindset is not right' following two failed bids from Chelsea.

Whether it'll come to nothing or Chelsea will pay stupid, stupid money (like, £80m stupid)... who tf knows.

Meanwhile, I suspect we'll probably end up with Aubameyang on deadline day.

How do you feel about Aubameyang?

Just now, stokeriño said:

I mean he'll fail like every striker who comes to Chelsea. The only question is whether he's expensive in the interim.

I think he’ll do really well - I would imagine he’s only being looked at as a short-term solution.

You just need a striker that gets on the end of things and puts the ball in the net don’t you?

That's what people say, but it's not like we're peppering the box with crosses or passes towards a striker's position (Havertz's miss from James' cross last week being the obvious outlier).

Maybe if a striker literally bullied his way through like some angry Costa/Drogba hybrid, he could make up for our general lack of chance-creation. But that would be an awkward way to hide the broader problem.