Summer Transfer Window 2022

Lineker

44 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Fee is somewhere between £15m and £20m, which, for a kid with fewer than 15 senior appearances and less than one year left on his deal, is business that I’m pleased with. 

Some suggestion that he wanted more first team football, which definitely would’ve happened had he signed a new deal at Villa. It has also been widely reported that he wanted £120,000 a week, and the club were unwilling to deviate from their wage structure.

Good player, but clearly putting $$$ first. 

Mebbe he just really wants to work in the Netherlands.

I'm really struggling with the Cucurella stuff. He's decent enough, but £55m to play second fiddle to Chilwell when they still have Emerson and Alonso on the books too feels insane. At least City made vague sense given they seem to have decided two fullbacks are all you need.

11 hours ago, Colly said:

I'm really struggling with the Cucurella stuff. He's decent enough, but £55m to play second fiddle to Chilwell when they still have Emerson and Alonso on the books too feels insane. At least City made vague sense given they seem to have decided two fullbacks are all you need.

I think they're going to play him on the left of the back three.

On the subject of Chelsea's LBs, I'm pretty sure Alonso is nearly out the door (or at least is not wanted). Emerson was only ever considered in an emergency and he'll no doubt be shipped out in some form too.

So having two LBs, or LWBs or whatever, is sensible. Paying 'first-team' money for the 2nd one is erm... risky? If Chilwell hadn't been injured for so long you imagine they'd only spend 'backup' money, but they must have decided the challenge of having to manage both players while healthy is better than the challenge of having to spend months with no great LWB again (noting how disproportionately dependent our usual tactic is only the WBs to get anything done).

Chelsea have a history of doing this thing anyway. Felipe Luiz, Baba Rahman, Alonso, Emerson, Zappacosta, etc... They just take a big punt on a full-back every season and 80% of them are irrelevant within a year.