Euro 2024 qualifiers

Lineker

Just now, Adam said:

Has there ever been a European qualifying score as wide as 14-0? I know Australia used to knock 15-20 past Oceanic island minnows but I can't remember a team being as resoundingly destroyed in Europe as Gibraltar were last night by France.

Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in a World Cup qualifier

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

Aye, I remember that happening, but I don't feel like the European thrashings ever usually get higher than 8/9.

Previous record was 13-0, Germany over San Marino, in the mid 00s

• Thanks 1

I was gonna say, that's probably why it wasn't given. He is fouled, but he clicks his feet together and flies over.

Also, I'd read nothing into the England game(s) here. It was a fairly second string team tonight, and regardless of how much Southgate says they shouldn't take dead rubber games with Malta and North Macedonia lightly, it's somewhat impossible not to, especially when he lines up with that XI tonight.

Bellingham is one of the best players on the planet as well right now, of course he's going to be missed. It doesn't matter how old he is.

• Like 1

To be clear, I'm not trying to make a big point about Bellingham's age. It's just that depending on one player isn't a good sign.

As you say, though, the matches were dead rubbers and aren't going to be talked about for very long. England genuinely do have their best crop of players since the Eriksson days, with the added bonus that they seem to enjoy playing together more. I think that France have the best team on paper for the Euros, but England should be very disappointed if they don't put in a good showing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Doesn’t help that he throws himself to the ground mind.

Surely then either it's a penalty or a yellow card for diving. The ref gives neither.