Euro 2024 qualifiers

Lineker

Yeah, England fans would never do anything like that.

I'm not sure what thread is best to use, but from an Italian perspective this referee has been very good in the second half.

I also have no idea why Jack Grealish is considered to be so good.

6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

This will be quite a disaster for Italy if they don't get at least a draw.

We're made up of Donnarumma, and a mix of players past their prime or completely unproven, with a decent striker nowhere in sight. I'm just happy we played this well in the second half.

11 hours ago, Chris2K said:

We're made up of Donnarumma, and a mix of players past their prime or completely unproven, with a decent striker nowhere in sight. I'm just happy we played this well in the second half.

What's the craic with the uncapped Argentine up top? Are Italy really struggling that much for forwards that they're having to poach from better nations?

32 minutes ago, Colly said:

What's the craic with the uncapped Argentine up top? Are Italy really struggling that much for forwards that they're having to poach from better nations?

More or less this. Mancini was complaining about it this week in his pressers.

I think of the 3 Italian clubs in the UCL quarters there’s a total of 7 Italian players? Which must prove a problem for a nation that historically has a very home based national squad. If they aren’t playing at home and aren’t excelling abroad, it leaves a hole.

Forwards in particular have been a massive issue, and, with the exception of Chiesa who is seemingly permanently injured, shows how winning Euro 2020 was almost entirely down to our defence. Immobile is still considered the main striker but he has never been able to replicate his club scoring form in internationals.

Retegui has Italian grandparents (and at least has a more Italian sounding name than Jorginho), there were suggestions he hadn't set foot in Italy before arriving for this international period's training camp but I doubt that's true. He scored, so that's something I guess, and when Scamacca is your nearest competition he should be around for a while.

Gnonto was impressive, but I fear his style of play is always going to better suited as an impact sub than playing 90 minutes.

Viaplay is actually alright to be fair. Premier Sports was fucking shocking until Viaplay bought them, but it is actually pretty watchable these days without breaking every few minutes. Only downside is that it isn’t available on a lot of smart TVs yet which is pretty annoying.