Green Power Ranger Jason David Frank Dead at 49

Hellraiser

The original green and later whire Power Ranger and MMA fighter Jason David Frank has died earlier today at age 49. TMZ reports that he took his own life: https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power-rangers-jason-david-frank-dead-dies-tommy-oliver-green-white

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Sad 2

https://tvline.com/2022/11/20/jason-david-frank-cause-of-death-power-rangers-actor-dies-obituary/

Cause of death hasn't been revealed

Dammit...so many heros of my teenage years are going :(

• Sad 1

I was just the right age for Power Rangers when it first hit and Tommy was my favorite.  He obviously wasn't in a great place. It's really sad he couldn't get whatever help he needed.

Father of all, we pray to you for Jason David Frank, and for all those whom we love but see no longer. Grant to them eternal rest. Let light perpetual shine upon them. May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

36 minutes ago, Adam said:

Gutted about this, I loved Power Rangers as a kid and Jason David Frank seemed like the coolest person in the world to me at the time. Really, really sad.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Sad news to read about and I can only hope that he's in a better place and made peace with himself.

• Like 2

I know the recent remake was poorly reviewed and isn't a great film but like seeing the old Ghostbusters line up again in Afterlife, seeing "Kimberly and Tommy" cheering on the new Rangers was one of those things that made me a touch emotional. There's something about passing the torch type things as my childhood is past on to the next generation that gets me. As a kid when Power Rangers crashed on to the world stage naturally it was a bit part and one of the earliest big discussion points in the playground was the incredible Green With Evil storyline and everything that came after made the Green (then white) and JDF just seem like the coolest and most amazing person on the planet.

Of course, he never really "escaped" the franchise but always seemed to be so appreciative of it and the fans and seemingly a decent bloke about it all. Heartbreaking to hear he couldn't beat his demons and that this has happened. 

• Like 1

Such a shame to hear. Power Rangers was a bit too ridiculous and over the top for me, I remember seeing one episode where they were fighting a killer satellite dish lol, but I guess I just wasn't in the target age range by the time it came out. I'm sure it brought joy to lots of kids, it just wasn't for me. RIP to Jason David Frank. Sorry he couldn't get the help he needed :(

This fucking sucks. I remember as a kid I wanted all the Power Ranger action figures for my birthday but I was only allowed to pick one and of course it was always going to be the green Power Ranger Tommy. It really sucks he couldn't get the help he needed. My heart goes out to his kids.

I'd like to remind everyone that until another source has confirmed it *, take it being suicide as a grain of salt. TMZ is far from reliable about certain things. 

*Last time I checked, no one else had. So pardon me if someone has and I've missed hearing it. 

• Like 1

His story arch was so important not only as a child but one I remember to this day. From being surrounded by evil, to becoming a friend and finally the leader and White Ranger. It showed no matter the bad or evil that you can always try to do good and be better. Be that kind inspiring person. That was the lesson I learned and why the news yesterday hit hard. From following him for year's and his messages of support for any fan that struggled and him being inspiring. I feel such a loss about this one. Just a sad loss. 

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I'd like to remind everyone that until another source has confirmed it *, take it being suicide as a grain of salt. TMZ is far from reliable about certain things. 

*Last time I checked, no one else had. So pardon me if someone has and I've missed hearing it. 

TMZ is usually VERY reliable when it comes to celebrity deaths, sadly

This hit me pretty hard even though I don't personally know Jason David Frank. Tommy was my hero when I was a kid. In primary school, we played Power Rangers and I was always the green ranger, I used to tie my school jumper over my shoulders and around my neck to fashion the Dragon Shield.

For anyone who's ever seen Zyuranger, when Burai dies, Dragon Caeser goes into a depression and in my head I imagine the Dragonzord doing the same. Obviously it's not real, but that still breaks my heart.

Yeah, the original Power Rangers craze hit peak for my age group. He was my favorite as both the Green and then White Ranger. I wore out my copy of The Power Rangers Movie VHS. Sad to see your heroes pass away so young, especially under such tragic circumstances. 

• Like 2

Same for me in terms of age range, although my favourite was always Kimberley for... adolescence reasons.

The Green Ranger/White Ranger story was probably the first storyline I remember seeing on TV for a kid's show, and as a result Jason David Frank is someone who stayed in my mind. Like Amy Jo Johnson his willingness to make cameos and go to conventions, leaning into his Power Ranger past rather than ignoring it, is all you can hope for from someone in that position. Plus his MMA ventures were always fun to follow, I remember his name coming up a lot as someone CM Punk should fight.

Such a sad end, hopefully he is at peace now.