General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

The end of this year is loaded too. The new Cyberpunk update is getting a lot of positive preview coverage, and will come out next week.

In October, there's Total War: Pharaoh, Wargroove 2, Forza, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Cities: Skylines 2 and Metal Gear Solid Master Collection for me. Spiderman 2 will obviously be massive for others, as will Alan Wake 2 and UFC 5 to a slightly lesser extent.

November has Football Manager 2024, Persona 5 Tactica and the Super Mario RPG remake.

There's no chance that I can buy or get through all of those, so the ones on Game Pass will be priorities. Some of the others could be nice to look at later on, when they're a bit cheaper.

6 minutes ago, probablyoliver said:

Sea of Stars is wonderful. I'd fully recommend to the @Ruki's and @Benji's of the world.

I found the story a bit slow starting, but it's so charming that it makes up for it. I just beat the Necromancer, and am thoroughly on-board. There's some fun dynamics in the battle system that I haven't seen before, too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I found the story a bit slow starting, but it's so charming that it makes up for it. I just beat the Necromancer, and am thoroughly on-board. There's some fun dynamics in the battle system that I haven't seen before, too. 

It gets even better!

I've just got to the open world portion, and it's very, very charming. Garl especially might be the single most disarming character I've ever encountered in a JRPG.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, probablyoliver said:

Sea of Stars is wonderful. I'd fully recommend to the @Ruki's and @Benji's of the world.

I'm very glad to hear that, I've been watching it develop for a while and it looks amazing. I just started a play through of FFIX so I probably will wait until it goes cheaper for my next JRPG style fix, but very excited for it.

Here's a YouTube playlist with about 30,000 gaming tunes, mostly remixed or reorchestrated. Why make it? Because I can.

Kraigy's mahoosive combined gaming remix playlist
(just hit 'shuffle', it'll take a few seconds but beats using YouTube directly)

Also helps me when at the gym or studying. It's about 99% instrumental, some (good) vocal covers too. There's also some classical songs in there, since they also appear in games and I wanted to include them.

• Like 1

@probablyoliver Are you on the Lies of P train? I know Bloodborne is your jam and this, at least from the snippets of footage I've seen since it was first teased, seems to be the 'you can copy my homework but don't make it obvious' of Bloodborne.

27 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

@probablyoliver Are you on the Lies of P train? I know Bloodborne is your jam and this, at least from the snippets of footage I've seen since it was first teased, seems to be the 'you can copy my homework but don't make it obvious' of Bloodborne.

I played the demo and loved it, but haven't jumped in to the full game yet. I really want to but there's also eight thousand games out right now.

It's on Gamepass, so I'll definitely play it at some point (he says, I still haven't touched Starfield!), and I've heard nothing but good things. It does sound like it's very Bloodborne-y, but if you're gonna copy something you might as well copy the greatest game of all time, right?

9 hours ago, Ruki said:

Like A Dragon (The new name for the Yakuza series) Infinite Wealth is coming out in January. Just weeks before Persona 3 Reloaded & Final Fantasy 7-R2. The first two months of the year are just stellar. 

If the Silent Hill 2 remake drops around that time I'm going to be so broke.

6 hours ago, probablyoliver said:

Thank you of thinking of me ❤️

I've played a few hours of Sea of Stars, the art style and the music are just unbelievable. But for whatever reason it's just not clicking for me. I set it down to play Starfield and Like A Dragon: Ishin (and occasionally my second BG3 playthrough)

46 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Thank you of thinking of me ❤️

I've played a few hours of Sea of Stars, the art style and the music are just unbelievable. But for whatever reason it's just not clicking for me. I set it down to play Starfield and Like A Dragon: Ishin (and occasionally my second BG3 playthrough)

Stick with it, I didn't love it at first, but it's fast becoming one of my favourite JRPGs, especially in recent years. It gives me big I Am Setsuna vibes, but better. According to howlongtobeat, I'm around half way through, and it's just getting better with every story beat.

Lovely game, very charming, very funny, and a lot more challenging than most JRPGs I've played.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, probablyoliver said:

I played the demo and loved it, but haven't jumped in to the full game yet. I really want to but there's also eight thousand games out right now.

It's on Gamepass, so I'll definitely play it at some point (he says, I still haven't touched Starfield!), and I've heard nothing but good things. It does sound like it's very Bloodborne-y, but if you're gonna copy something you might as well copy the greatest game of all time, right?

Ah, good. It wont just be me talking to myself if I were to make a thread then. :shifty:

I haven't started it yet either TBF, I've been playing DS3 for the first time but put it to one side part way through the 2nd DLC so I should go back and finish that first.

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

Ah, good. It wont just be me talking to myself if I were to make a thread then. :shifty:

I haven't started it yet either TBF, I've been playing DS3 for the first time but put it to one side part way through the 2nd DLC so I should go back and finish that first.

Yeah, I just finished my second Elden Ring playthrough, will likely take a minute away from Souls-y games, but a Lies of P thread wouldn't go unwarranted.

I haven't spoken to him about it yet but I'm sure it's right up @apsham's street too.

Tekken is slowly revealing characters for its eighth instalment and the community is pissed because a bunch of major people don't seem to be in, but they just announced Panda as returning. Meanwhile I am fawning all over the fucking adorable redesign of a classic character.

RDT_20230921_1009367538097105965407408.jpg

LOOK AT BEST GIRL! SHE IS FUCKING ADORABLE.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The Cyberpunk 2077 expansion is getting very good reviews. It seems that the game is finally close to what it was supposed to be nearly three years ago.

I am on the fence about trying it again. I mostly completed the game one time already, and at the time felt that it was a good fun experience but not one that I will be jumping at to do again.

But there's also the fact that I still think the concept is absolutely cool, and I have heard good things about Phantom Liberty that it has given me a slight itch to try again.

But I know that it will still probably feel like a mostly hollow-ish world that is very skin deep and lacks a true personality, and I don't think that will change for me on another run through.