Matthew Perry has passed away

GoGo Yubari

Damn what a depressing couple of days. Richard Moll yesterday was sad enough, but he was at least 80, so you kind of expected it, but this is heartbreaking. RIP Chandler :crying:

And I wish Matthew Perry could walk through that door again! 😭😭😭😭

RIP Matthew. One of the most iconic characters of my childhood, and one of those deaths that just stutter steps you and makes your entire day numb. Way too young :( 

• Like 3

I was shocked to hear the news this morning. Whilst Friends is not the show I used to view it as when I was younger, there's no doubt that it and Matthew Perry in particular had a shaping impact on my adolescence - Chandler was always the friend I related to the most, and I doubtless took some of my sarcastic bent from his portrayal.

Perry as well just seemed like a good guy with a strong perspective on his life, through his addiction and fame and all that came with it. It's really sad to see he's died, particularly in these circumstances, far before his time should have been up.

I also want to make note of his phoned in performance of Benny in Fallout New Vegas. After Friends, that was what I thought of because to be honest, that depiction was so wooden it made it good. No idea what he had going on in his life at the time, as he famously loved Fallout so much that he wanted to be in the game, but he delivered his lines in a truly Bethesda way either intentionally or not.

I'm rambling anyway - sad news, the world is a poorer place without Matthew Perry.

Matthew Perry was, for me, the first face I thought of when I thought of Friends. For all the other stars from that show, many of whom had many other roles they were also famous for, Perry was the guy I looked at and go "that's the star of Friends."

Anyway, many have and will say it better than me. His perspective on life and celebrity was wise beyond his years.

• Like 2

Could I BE any sadder?  I watch Friends every day before I leave for work

Also, does anyone else find it weird none of his co-stars have posted anything?  I've looked at the IG accounts for Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and Courtney Cox...none of them have posted anything about Matthews passing

18 minutes ago, Lint said:

Could I BE any sadder?  I watch Friends every day before I leave for work

Also, does anyone else find it weird none of his co-stars have posted anything?  I've looked at the IG accounts for Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and Courtney Cox...none of them have posted anything about Matthews passing

There will be a joint statement, based on what my superfan friend has told me. He wondered the same thing.

On 29/10/2023 at 11:52, Hobo said:

Very sad news. Here he is taking Peter Hitchens to task in a debate on drug addiction

Studio 60 was a good show too.

Peter Hitchens is such an insufferable cunt. 

I was never the biggest Friends fan but I enjoyed him in his other guest roles, as someone who has had their own alcohol issues I probably spent much more time watching his talks on addiction like this one and the other posted above than Friends. Horrible shame that he has passed as he seemed like a really decent person.

• Like 2

• Admin

Two days after Matthew Perry's sudden death, his fellow castmates from the hit television series — Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer — spoke out in a joint statement, exclusively obtained by PEOPLE.

"We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family," their statement reads. "There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss."

"In time we will say more, as and when we are able," the statement continues. "For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world."

The message is then signed by Aniston, Cox, Kudrow, LeBlanc and Schwimmer.