Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has expressed his frustration after Chilean Mark Gonzalez was denied a work permit.

The winger, who agreed a loan move from Spanish club Albacete earlier in the summer, has been turned down because his country is not in Fifa's top 70.

"I was very surprised," Benitez told the Liverpool website. "He's the best player in Chile."

Chile are currently 72nd in the Fifa rankings and if they move up, Liverpool may present their case again.

Liverpool attended a hearing at the Department of Education and Employment to argue in favour of Gonzalez.

"He's a player we have been scouting for over six months," said Benitez.

"He is a player who will shine in the Premiership and very soon he could be one of the most exciting players in England.

"He's very fast, good in the air, good at crosses and he can score goals."

Gonzalez would not have been able to play until September anyway because he is still recovering from a cruciate ligament injury.

It is believed Liverpool also fell foul of regulations that say the player had to be among their highest wage-earners.

Government regulations also require that when signing a young player from outside the European Union, a club must convince officials that there is no comparable player in their own country first.

Apparently Sheffield United are selling striker Andy Gray to premiership newboys Sundeland, as United are in danger of actually getting promoted if he stays.

Manchester United have opened talks with Brazil international Cicinho.

Sir Alex Ferguson has apparently been impressed enough with the defender's performances in the Confederations Cup to launch a bid.

The Sao Paulo star has already flown in to Manchester to open talks, accompanied by his agent Juliano Leonel.

Cicinho claimed just a day ago that his dream was to play for Milan, following in the footsteps of his idol and Brazilian World Cup winning captain Cafu.

Milan, and fellow Italian giants Juventus are both amongst Cicinho's suitors, with both considering the 25-year-old right back a potential star.

Indeed, it is the Rossoneri that remain in pole position to sign the defender, who would be up against United stalwart Gary Neville should he plump for The Red Devils.

Cicinho has also been to Italy as he completed the forms that will allow him to pick up a European passport.

Meanwhile, United star Ruud van Nistelrooy has insisted that Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo can be world beaters.

Van Nistelrooy told MUTV that he is a hug fan of the pair - who have already had such a huge impact on the game.

"In a few years, those two will be dominating world football," said van Nistelrooy.

"They have such incredible quality. They are ahead of anyone in their world in their age group.

"Not only have they performed at the highest level domestically, they have also done it for their countries as well.

"They are so young, there is so much more time for them to improve.

"They can just get better and stronger every year. It is a fantastic feeling to play with great players and that is what they are."

It's strange to see such rumours pop up this late in the transfer window especially in a situation like this.

Gary Neville has always been Mr. Reliable for us and although average at times, he's generally sound in the right-back role. Thats why I fail to see why we're linked with buying a new player when we already have someone more than capable with a year or two left. Surely we have much larger priorities than that. They are two different types of player and in honesty, from what I've seen of him in the Confeds Cup, I wouldn't say no...but the whole thing just seems a little strange to me, granted it would be difficult to just walk right into the first-team and waste to sit on the bench at the price being quoted.

Graeme Souness says Newcastle United have a "good chance" of landing Real Madrid striker Michael Owen.

The Magpies boss is convinced he can pull off a massive coup by pairing Owen with Alan Shearer at St James' Park after suffering frustration in his bid to bring fresh blood to his frontline.

Souness has a striker crisis on his hands but realises the capture of the England hit-man would be an instant fix for the problem.

"Without exciting the fans too much, I think there is a good chance," enthused Souness.

"We are still in there.

"We are targeting, and have been targeting, several players.

"The Michael Owen situation, we know everything about Michael's situation. He is a target but we also have other targets."

One of those on the short-list, Nicolas Anelka, has confirmed he is staying with Fenerbahce.

Newcastle kick off their Premiership campaign with a tough away assignment at Arsenal, live on Sky Sports 1 on Sunday.

Graeme Souness is a fucking douche. How much longer is he going to kid himself and annoy us? As if Owen is going to go to a team that finished 14th last season. Surely everyone but Souness realises this?

That's what I've been thinking as well. If Owen does leave Madrid then he'll go to a club in the Champion's League or at a push Uefa Cup.

I'm quite surprised Chelsea haven't been mentioned trying to sign him, seeing as we're linked with a move for just about every player in Europe...

Edited by Turbonegro

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Although Henry and Owen might not connect, I'd be willing to give it a go, we need someone who can score goals week in and week out, our current forwards cant do that (although Van Persie will prove us wrong this season I believe).

• Admin

That's what I've been thinking as well.  If Owen does leave Madrid then he'll go to a club in the Champion's League or at a push Uefa Cup. 

I'm quite surprised Chelsea haven't been mentioned trying to sign him, seeing as we're linked with a move for just about every player in Europe...

No, Little MO will go to any big name Premiership team that offers it. With the World Cup in the summer, he can't afford to reject a team like Newcastle with no European football rather than not play at all or hardly any at Madrid next year or till January.

Mourinho was one of the first to deny all interest in the player, thats why Chelsea are never really quoted as targets. Whereas the likes of Sir Alex and Wenger could be tempted with a lowered asking price, Mourinho doesn't want him at any cost.

Also, to the above poster, I fail to see how Owen can fall any lower in the pecking order than last year. If anything, he may even be more likely to break into the first team.

Most people are saying how he'll be fifth choice striker but realistically, its unlikely he'll be anything less than third. With both Raul and Baptista pushed back into the midfield, the front pairing will be Ronaldo and Robinho, the latter who will suspectingly miss the first few games due to arriving late at the club. Real Madrid do have more players than last term who can fill in the position, thats not to say they all will.

Mourinho was one of the first to deny all interest in the player, thats why Chelsea are never really quoted as targets. Whereas the likes of Sir Alex and Wenger could be tempted with a lowered asking price, Mourinho doesn't want him at any cost.

Also, to the above poster, I fail to see how Owen can fall any lower in the pecking order than last year. If anything, he may even be more likely to break into the first team.

Most people are saying how he'll be fifth choice striker but realistically, its unlikely he'll be anything less than third. With both Raul and Baptista pushed back into the midfield, the front pairing will be Ronaldo and Robinho, the latter who will suspectingly miss the first few games due to arriving late at the club. Real Madrid do have more players than last term who can fill in the position, thats not to say they all will.