Super Smash Brothers: BRAWL

Guest clintcasey

I still can't believe there are Smash Bros. tournaments... the game is a glorified clusterfuck button masher.

Not if you're really (I mean, REALLY) good at it. First of all, I've never been in a tournament where they're not doing one on one matches. The only time clusterfucks figure in in Smash Bros. tourneys is before the tournament starts and the players are just playing to work off rust and get warmed up. And generally most tournaments I've been in either disable a lot of different sorts of weapons or weapons entirely, making it completely based upon how skilled you are with your character and with adapting to different environments.

I hate one on one battles, I love the clusterfucks and the weapons, it makes up for weaker players shortcomings, that way, they have a chance and somewhat evens the battle field. People who complain about it should just go play Street Fighter <_>

Oh, no, I absolutely love clusterfucks too, especially as a Bowser player who plays conservatively because it means I can get in, knock people around, and get out when shit goes bad, but they'd be atrocious for tournaments and they definitely aren't a proper means for determining how skilled a player you are on its own.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way they worded the Lucas introduction, I'd be DAMN surprised if Ness is still in. It all sounded like he was being introduced as Ness' replacement. Boo you!

I don't think Jigglypuff will be in, what with the Pokémon trainer being a character now, I could see them dropping some of the Poké-characters...Mewtwo and Jiggly, as it won't be Pikachu...

Hey, Mewtwo rules! I play best as Mewtwo or Dr. Mario in Melee, and I'll be disappointed if Mewtwo doesn't make the cut. Dr. Mario isn't a great loss, since Mario's still there.

I do find it interesting that I play better as Dr. Mario than I do as Mario >_>

I'm not surprised there are Bowser fans (I'm one!), but I'm pretty damn shocked there are actually Mewtwo fans out there. I don't think anyone in my old college gang played as Mewtwo more than, say, twice. Beyond an unpredictable projectile and some okay throws (both of which Mario and Ness can do much better), what's so great about him? Really, Mewtwo may be the only character that could be omitted and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I see some people ragging Game & Watch, and let me just say that a skilled Game & Watch character can be an amazing spectacle to watch. He's not a tournament character, but in big four-player clusterfucks (which is how I enjoy the game), G&W can wreak havoc. When you've got a good G&W player cooperating with a good Samus player... hooboy.

Upon going to that site, Snake doesn't just whip out a grenade launcher, he calls in a fucking chopper, climbs on a rope ladder and unleashes 12 rounds into the stage. That's fucking badass.

Oh and guess what? DELAYED!

What a way to start off 2008. Today, Nintendo announced that eagerly awaited Wii title Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be delayed until March 9th for North America and January 31st for Japan. The game was originally slated for a January 24th Japanese release and a February 10th North American one. This comes after rumblings that retailers were beginning to move back pre-orders for the game. On the game's official US website, a note reads:

Due to delays in the completion of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we've had to change the release date of the game to Sunday, March 9th.

I deeply apologize to the people who have looked forward to playing the game for so long and ask that you hold on just a little longer. Thank you for your patience.

Sources close to the company tell Kotaku that the game needs more polish. Too much dojo-ing and not enough developing, we guess. So please, no more blogging until this game is done, m'kay?

-Kotaku

Edited by Zero

The word I am hearing is that it was delayed due to problems with online play. Something came up bad in the last bit of large scale testing and they are trying to fix it before it is released.

I would imagine it is better for them to delay the game for a couple of weeks and have a pain free first couple of weeks for online play instead of having every jackass bitching on internet about how Nintendo can't do online right or how it is fucked up.

Edited by abundant

The word going around the net is that this delay is occurring because of problems with the online portion of the game. Hopefully it isn’t a big problem and they fix it quick, I can’t handle a third delay.

A third delay? The last delay wasn't even the third delay, was it? The game was originally slated to be a Wii launch title.

sheik.jpg

Sheik's Special Moves

Standard Special Move - Needle Storm

Side Special Move - Chain

Up Special Move - Vanish

Down Special Move - Transform (Zelda)

Final Smash - Light Arrow

EDIT:

Famitsu gave SSBB 40/40, making it the highest scoring Smash game so far. Some quotes from the review.

This time, single-player is also big. Adventure mode is pretty lengthy and enjoyable and the story's presentation is great. Thanks to the "Final Smash" moves with surprising shows of strength, unforeseen abilities arise. Options for control, sound, and so on are perfect and also deserve a hats-off.

The new "Final Smash" moves with brilliant effects that can be used by any character are refreshingly fun, right up there with the rest of the battles. I'm glad the single-player mode is also bountiful. "Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary" keeps such a good tempo of movies and action that one easily forgets the time while playing. Awesome!

Appealing production and features. Also, the movements of the characters are dynamic yet subtle. The brilliant actions of the "Final Smash" moves are a must-see. There are tons of stages, and the single-player mode is perfect. Not only is there a stage editor, but detailed statistics from the game are presented. Nice.

The movements of the assembled all-stars are highly-polished, single-player is perfect and easy to get into, and the challenge of collecting herein is more than enough. With outstanding art direction, this game really lets you feel the power of motion. There are new things to discover with each play, with both joy and sorrow to be savored in battle.

Edited by abundant

sheik_080116d-l.jpg

Note Link's area of focus. The man may wear tights, but he is certainly not gay. He knows what he likes and he likes what he sees.

RUMOR alert!

1. It looks like Roy, Marth, and Ness may be cut from Brawl. In the Brawl Famitsu booklet, there’s an article about the three talking about if Lucas and Ike can surpass their predecessors. This may not mean anything, but this, coupled with Sakurai confirming that some Melee fighters were cut as well as Lucas’ DOJO update, paint a grim picture.

2. Someone from NeoGAF, who apparently works for a gaming magazine/blog, states that brawl will have 35 characters and 41 stages. Looking at his past posts at GAF shows that he may be legit.

I doubt that Marth and Roy will be cut. Roy will probably be out, but not Marth. He's the face of the Fire Emblem franchise, and he was one of the most popular characters from Melee.

35 characters wouldn't be bad, 25 have been revealed so far. I was hoping for something closer to 40, though.

Edited by Thatz

Three new characters have been revealed! If you watch this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=pfb2l-iYlRo , at 4:20 it shows this

WARNING: Spoilers contain two returning characters and a brand new fighter.

14maq93.jpg

302c7dz.jpg

Ness, Jigglypuff, and Lucario!

art-lucario.jpg

picture of Lucario for reference

This also could confirm that Mewtwo is cut, since he isn't shown in the second picture alongside every other Pokemon representative.

Edited by abundant

Fucking yes! Jigglypuff!

And Lucario? That would seem pretty cool! And unless they are changing up Ness a lot, Lucas will just be a Ness clone

Ok, I'm happy now ^_^

On second look....the one that looks like Ness could be the Pokemon Trainer
Edited by Ruki