Nintendo Wii

Benji

Pre-ordered my Wii today, and had a chance to try it out. They had eight consoles on display, with Zelda and Wii Sports on two, Excite Truck on one, Wario Ware on one, a modern version of Pong and one machine turned off. Most people were in line for Zelda so I managed to get on a Wii Sports machine within five minutes.

The Wii Remote is the perfect size and has force feedback (didn't read anything about that). Decided to play Wii Bowling and away we went. After a few early mistakes which resulted in a very slow ball travling down the lane, I quickly got the hang of it and bowled a few strikes. One thing is, once you get the hand of it you find how amazingly realistic gameplay is with the Wii Remote. I was bowling in the same fashion that I do in real life (step to the extreme left then bowl with spin) and found that the ball acted the same as it did in real life. The pins didn't quite clatter in the same fashion.. but it's easily the most realistic bowling game I've ever played.

That's the other thing about about the console, it is amazingly fun to play. It is really enjoyable to stand there and play because your not just sitting there trying to win. I really hope the other games are like this. All in all, a fun game for a great console and I look forward to picking mine up in December.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wii review update:

IGN has added reviews for Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. They also have the official Wii commercial for download, which aired last night for the first time.

Gamespot has a review up for Excite Truck.

Gampro.com has a "Wii expert" forum section with two writers who have retail versions of the Wii answering questions. They also have the Wii Manual (the manual for the console) uploaded in .PDF for those who want to check it out before Sunday.

So I read that Nintendo has plans for a DVD movie playback enabled Wii in 2007 and really, it's an odd one. I suppose it'd be a nice extra for someone who didn't have a DVD player or has a lack of things they can input to a TV but a lot of people have a multitude of things they can watch DVD's on. If it's purely an extra they tack on at no extra cost when they have their production costs down then yeah, it's always nice to have something extra. But I can't see it sending too many people into their camp.

At least the Wii Ads showed the games....which is why I buy consoles in the first place.

Ok to keep this from looking like lame ways to increase my post count, this specific post will be consistently updated with links to reviews and stuff. I will set it up in alphabetical order:

Call of Duty 3

Gamingtrend 83/100

Gamezone 83/100

IGN.com 7.7/10

Excite Truck:

eToychest 84%/100

Gamespot.com 6.8/10

Gamespy 3 stars

IGN.com 8.0/10

Underground Online B- 75/100

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Gaming Trend 86/100

PGNx Media 91/100

Rayman Raving Rabbids:

IGN.com 8.3/10

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Gamespot 8.3/10

IGN.com 8.4/10

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Gamespy 5 stars

Gamerz-Edge 100/100

Underground Online 96/100

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam:

Gamingtrend 92/100

Gamezone 90/100

IGN.com 7.0/10

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Gamespot 8.0/10

IGN.com 8.0/10

Wii Sports

Gamespy 4 stars

IGN.com 7.5/10

Edited by EWRFan

Ok to keep this from looking like lame ways to increase my post count, this specific post will be consistently updated with links to reviews and stuff. I will set it up in alphabetical order:

Call of Duty 3

Gamingtrend 83/100

Gamezone 83/100

IGN.com 7.7/10

Excite Truck:

eToychest 84%/100

Gamespot.com 6.8/10

Gamespy 3 stars

IGN.com 8.0/10

Underground Online B- 75/100

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Gaming Trend 86/100

PGNx Media 91/100

Rayman Raving Rabbids:

IGN.com 8.3/10

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Gamespot 8.3/10

IGN.com 8.4/10

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Gamespy 5 stars

Gamerz-Edge 100/100

Underground Online 96/100

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam:

Gamingtrend 92/100

Gamezone 90/100

IGN.com 7.0/10

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Gamespot 8.0/10

IGN.com 8.0/10

Wii Sports

Gamespy 4 stars

IGN.com 7.5/10

I've played Excite Truck; it's pretty fun, all in all, though not the type of game I'd be very interested in actually buying. The controls are a little loose for my liking but the game is fun and simplistic enough to get into really easily.

Played Wii Sports: Tennis and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam today at a Games Expo here in Melbourne. Maybe I'm just too used to the Xbox version of the Hawk series, but I found Downhill Jam near impossible to play. Very hard to keep your skater going in the right direction, let alone doing combos etc. The fact that you have to press the A button to keep skating forwards was a downside. Wii Sports: Tennis was good but not as easy as Wii Sports: Bowling, but perhaps that was a timing issue on my part. Huge lines for Zelda and Red Steel.

Here

Reasonably pricey.

Uh, what? I can understand mindless bashing of video consoles is standard fanboi behaviour, but you've slagged the Wii in favor of the PS3 and are saying its components are REASONABLY PRICEY? They're basically free comapred to PS3 stuff.

Well, I got my Wii today, amazingly, without pre-ordering and waking up at a mere 10:30 AM. In fact, I got what was announced as the third last one sold in the city. EB's really in my good graces right now. Unfortunately, they were all sold out of Zelda, so that means I'll have to go back on Wednesday or Thursday for the next shipment. Other than Zelda, I didn't want to take my chances with the launch titles, although Excite Truck and Red Steel do look pretty cool, cool enough to rent anyways. So, I left EB with a Wii and Wii Sports; which is incredibly fun. Honestly (and I haven't even played multiplayer yet) it's one of the very few sports games I've ever been able to get into, because they've made it feel like you're actually playing those sports. The controls are easy, and fun; it's been a blast. Lord knows how awesome it'll be once I get some friends over here and another controller or two. Here's to hoping I get Zelda soon!

Don't get Red Steel, don't even rent it...listen to Zero. But don't listen to Zero about Zelda. Zelda Wii>>>>>Zelda GCN.