The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

Why do Cubs fans allow themselves to get their hopes up? I mean, honestly, it's not like the team has ever really given you a reason to. You should be used to it by now. It's worse for someone like me, who grew up with teams that won ALL the time (Lakers, Dodgers), and now can't seem to do shit. You've never known success, so not being successful should be easy.

Also, fuck the Yankees. And the Angels. And the Red Sox. I guess that means go Indians. And Rockies, but only because I have no reason to dislike them beyond them being in the NL West, while I actively dislike Arizona for... well... no real reason, really. It's not like their San Francisco or San Diego.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being loyal means you won't stray. Hoping for the best when you know your team sucks more often than not just means you're a blind fanatic. I'm a loyal Knicks fan for example, but I'm also a realist. We didn't win a title with the best teams we've ever had post the '73 championship team, and there's no reason to think we will anytime in the next 10 years either. At least no one here is a Devil Rays fan and there's some hope that your team can win 70 games more than once every 10 years.

Edited by naiwf

No, I'm saying that fans who get heartbroken when they know their team is mediocre confuse me. I posted in this thread that the Mets wouldn't make the playoffs on August 11th. By the time the season was over, I wasn't "crushed" that I was right because I saw it coming. Even if they had snuck in, the Rockies would have swept them anyway. There's no reason to be devastated every year.

I get what you're saying now I guess, but to me it's different. If you aren't going to invest yourself fully then why bother? Maybe I grew up a little too close to the Cubbies to see this logically but I can't imagine ever thinking the way you do. It's a sad cycle because right now I'm miserable, but come Spring Training I will be just as optimistic as I was a week ago when the Playoffs were about to start.

I'm basically saying what naiwf is. Its like how I am with the Raiders. I support them, and want them to do well, but I, realistically, know that 6-8 wins is the absolute BEST we could do this year.

I guess being a UCLA fan has also affected that. Get my hopes up in football every year, and always break my heart.

Alright, I understand you better now...but I still disagree with what you said about Cubs fans. I mean, you were talking like it was pointless for anyone to think that they had a chance, when that clearly wasn't the case. They made the playoffs one year after having the worst record in their division, and they had a much better team that they have in the past couple of years. Why wouldn't Cubs fans hope for the best?

Because MLB is fixed and they want a Red Sox/ Yankees ALCS, no matter who they screw over.

I mean, Westbrook throws two STRIKES to Damon, which are called balls, so Westbrook has to pitch up and let Damon give the Yankees the lead.

Still though, I have faith in Byrd, but keep that bullpen going Wedge, you novice!