The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

Huzzah!

This is great, the Sox will win a second world series during my college years, and even if they don't, the Rockies are an incredibly likeable team, who upon winning will become one of the greatest sports stories ever.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was the Red Sox, I'd bring in Dave Roberts to throw the first pitch on their first home World Series game. If the Sox win, I'm already planning on skipping out on work for the Victory Parade.

One of the columnists over at ESPN.com is suggesting that the National League should adopt the DH, because the DH gives the AL more of an advantage.

To that, I say NO WAY IN HELL!

The NL hasn't been able to win the All-Star Game in years, with or without a DH, and in most of the World Series over the past decade or so, I don't think the NL team using a DH for the entire WS would have made a difference either way.

I'd rather see the DH done away with altogether, since its only been around since 1973 or so and it doesn't really serve the purpose it was originally intended to do, which was to extend the career or aging players. Now it seems most DHs are players who are either shitty fielders or too banged up to play but can still hit, not old.

One of the columnists over at ESPN.com is suggesting that the National League should adopt the DH, because the DH gives the AL more of an advantage.

To that, I say NO WAY IN HELL!

The NL hasn't been able to win the All-Star Game in years, with or without a DH, and in most of the World Series over the past decade or so, I don't think the NL team using a DH for the entire WS would have made a difference either way.

I'd rather see the DH done away with altogether, since its only been around since 1973 or so and it doesn't really serve the purpose it was originally intended to do, which was to extend the career or aging players. Now it seems most DHs are players who are either shitty fielders or too banged up to play but can still hit, not old.

I said I'd prefer it if they'd do away with the DH, but I know that's not gonna happen. However, I will start foaming at the mouth and go strangle someone if the NL ever adopts the DH.

To me, the NL is the pure league, because they don't use the DH. I think its more interesting when a manager has to decide whether to leave a pitcher in and hit or yank him for a pinch hitter and replace him on the mound than not have to worry because the pitchers don't bat. And the DH isn't what it used to be: now its a specialized role, with most DHs being players signed specifically to be a DH because they can hit but aren't good fielders, whereas originally the DH role belonged to aging players who were too old or busted up to field, not DHing because of a lack of talent. (Hank Aaron was a DH the last two years of his career, for instance, and now there's talk about Bonds being a DH somewhere next year)

Edited by GhostMachine

Point of order on this one: Technically in baseball rules, an AL team doesn't HAVE to use a designated hitter if they don't want to (it's merely the option of the manager- however, IIRC no AL manager has ever chosen to not use a DH.) Hence, it is possible to have AL pitchers hit in a non-NL park.